Hurricane Ike Damage or How to build a hurricane proof chicken house.

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
We just got power back last night after the hurricane so this is the first I’ve been able to get online.

This damage looks really bad but we were very fortunate…it could have been a lot worse. The tree that fell onto the house didn’t punch through…the damage is superficial. If it had fallen on the house it would have crushed us in our sleep.

We have a lot of trees down on the fences and one sucked out from under the driveway and pulled all the dirt out from under one side of it. The driveway is collapsing and is going to have to be replaced.

I’m happy to report that we didn’t loose a single chicken despite the fact that a large pine tree broke off 30 or 35 feet up and fell onto the chicken house. DH designed the chicken house with hurricanes in mind but we really had no idea that we would get to test his design out so soon.

If you would have told me that half of a tree could fall onto a structure from 30 feet up and the structure would still be standing I would have thought you had lost your mind but seeing is believing.

The structure is still square!!!! The door was a tight fit when DH built it and it still opens and closes perfectly. Those hurricane clips work!!!!! Plus the fact that DH reinforced all the weight bearing parts of the chicken house with extra wood and put it all together with screws instead of nails.

Our insurance adjuster is supposed to be out on Saturday…I hope he has some ideas as to how we can get a 2000 pound log off the top of a chicken house.

HurricaneIkeDamage002small.jpg

HurricaneIkeDamage007small.jpg

HurricaneIkeDamage008small.jpg

HurricaneIkeDamage010small.jpg

HurricaneIkeDamage012Small.jpg

HurricaneIkeDamage013small.jpg

HurricaneIkeDamage016small.jpg

Wow, now that's a well built chicken house!!!
th.gif

We lost the roof off one side of our coop with the winds from Ike up here in PA, plus about 20 good sized tress.

Glad to see you weathered the hurricane with no casualties.

Blessings-
Em

Back
Top Bottom