Hurricane may interrupt incubator

Feather Momma

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2017
Hi there! I hatched my first batch of chickens with no issues and 99% hatch rate. Now I am hatching quail.....they are due to hatch today/tomorrow, unfortunately Irma is probably going to cause me to lose power tonight early morning I see eggs rocking but no piping or cracks yet. I would love for them to hatch today to move to brooder. I have hot hands to put in brooder for warmth. Just not sure what to do if/when power goes out before hatch. I think they will not make it. Do I keep lid closed and pray for the best? I have no generator so that is not an option. Thanks for any advice!!! What a day for storm to put power out....hatch day!!

Last edited:
Hi there! I hatched my first batch of chickens with no issues and 99% hatch rate. Now I am hatching quail.....they are due to hatch today/tomorrow, unfortunately Irma is probably going to cause me to lose power tonight early morning I see eggs rocking but no piping or cracks yet. I would love for them to hatch today to move to brooder. I have hot hands to put in brooder for warmth. Just not sure what to do if/when power goes out before hatch. I think they will not make it. Do I keep lid closed and pray for the best? I have no generator so that is not an option. Thanks for any advice!!! What a day for storm to put power out....hatch day!!
Firstly I hope you and all your animals are well! Second I don't know much I'm beginner with two baby chicks only but I have read some other posts with people having the same problem and what people told them was that they should heat up warm blankets and put in with the eggs and keep it closed to conserve heat . Sorry I can't help much but I hope you are all safe :) Goodluck :fl

Thanks!!! A few more pips and cheaps! Power still on but neighbors all out. Praying! But I feel better to know they are on way out. If power goes out I think I am going to quickly toss some hand warmers in there. About all I can do besides pray!!
Hopefully it's soon post a pic once they're all born please I'd love to see those cuties :) that sure is lucky that everyone else is out except yours which is good because of the babies. Definitely do it if goes out in the Mean time I'll be sending love and good vibes

Hang in there, babies! I'm in a similar a situation-- mine are on lockdown at the moment. I have a power converter for my car with two outlets that should run my incubators fine, so if we lose power I'll just move everything out to the car and hope it restored in a matter of hours rather than days.

We have 6 babies and have lost power at 130am. I quickly added hot hands to the incubator and shut lid. I wrapped incubator partially with my down ski jacket. Really nothing but to pray the hot hands give them enough warmth!

Back
Top Bottom