Hurricane on the way. Need advice!!

Sorry - needed to jump in for safety reason. I'm a former EMT. - PLEASE do not use the generator in the garage. It is a recipe for carbon monoxide poisoning! Even with the garage door open, CO can get in the house. Generators need to be outside.
OP, please take the above advice.
Your drywall will not stop the the gas from entering your house. I live in FL and have been through every hurricane since '91. Rule number 1 with generators is they need to be outside of the house, including the garage. If you have a detached shed that would be best. We've even used a dog crate with a tarp covering it before. Anything to get it out of the house is a better idea.

I wish you the best of luck. It passed this area with minimal stress, hopefully you get the same. Stay safe.

View attachment 1898099 View attachment 1898100

Got them on the porch. Decided not to close in the front for a couple more hours until the storm gets closer. Any advice on how to make them more comfortable? Signs of stress I need to be concerned about? They seem to be doing well. I’m sitting on the porch with them. They have been drinking water and the quacking has decreased.
Looks good. They are just a little stressed from suddenly being confined. Looks like we're (Northeast Florida) not going to get much action here but it seems to be heading toward you. Our local forecasters are predicting it to stay off shore but somewhat closer to your shore than ours. Best of luck!

Sorry - needed to jump in for safety reason. I'm a former EMT. - PLEASE do not use the generator in the garage. It is a recipe for carbon monoxide poisoning! Even with the garage door open, CO can get in the house. Generators need to be outside.
Thank you we will put it in our front covered area.

How about putting the ducks in the garage and the generator on the porch? You've still got plenty of time!
Think they are going to be good on the back porch. Been swimming in the kiddie pool and eating. One is being a little bit “bossy” but I think it will be okay when they settle down. We have a video cam out there so I can keep an eye on them any time. (I’ve got a comfy chair for me too lol)

Animals pick up on pending weathers changes a lot faster than us so I am sure they realize something is coming just not sure what. That's awesome you got them up on the porch. That should help keep them safe. Got feed and water out for them? and if you have some meal worms that will help them feel as though all is well and they are safe. Do ya'll have mandatory evacuation? Just make sure you all are safe. Main thing is falling trees limbs with high winds and heavy rain and of course heavy rain. Even here in the mountains we have these things to prepare for when storms are coming. But thankfully we don't get the brunt of hurricanes here. We do get flooding.
I have their kiddie pool, reg feed, fresh water, meal worms, water w electrolytes, big dog house, pine shavings and my comfy chair to sit w them some. It’s a 12x15 porch that we put tarps on 3 sides and we have ceiling fans to circulate air. Anything else you think I might need?

Looks like you've got things under control and have done a good job. There is only so much you can do! Are there trees near the porch that could possibly come down on it? Looks like the hurricane may landfall in Charleston or nearby right now unless it turns sharply to the west. Let's hope!
There aren’t any trees near the porch that could fall on them. Also the pond in the back yard if about 6-8 feet down a bank so no problem there

12EE0307-7BA9-4D44-AED3-F4C4F1854E1E.jpeg We are doing good. The 3 of us, dog, cat and 3 ducks are fine. Ducks area is dry and free from the high winds. Been sitting out there w them this morning enjoying the “breeze”. In the attached pic, Mama duck was falling asleep as I was talking to them.

Back
Top Bottom