Hurricane proofing?

openheartnp

Songster
10 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Green Twp, NJ
Hi from NJ! I'm sure a lot of us are bracing for Hurricane Irene, which will probably be down to a Cat 2 by the time it reaches my chickens.

Do I need to take additional steps to protect my flock and the coop? It's a converted 8x8 shed, put up and leveled on cement blocks by the shed people. Which means it came in prefab pieces and put together with air-driven drills. We did the inside ourselves, but the framing was done professionally. Double doors, vents on top, and one 18x24 window opposite the door.

We don't deal with hurricanes, but we do deal with 70+ mph straight line winds. Last week they reached 90 mph during a storm and tore apart our outbuildings. We had an 8X9 storage shed from Lowes that was a kit. We had a cement pad and it was bolted down to it. It was ripped apart. Only a few pieces remained bolted into the ground. But honestly, it was not made that sturdy and we learned our lesson with it. It was not designed with bracing. We lost one other building- similar in design, not good bracing and it was not bolted into the ground- simply set on the ground. It lasted 6 yrs that way- one big storm and it is no longer.
wink.png
Now... my chicken coop is another story, I decided I wanted it to withstand our winds and not have to worry about it. The main support posts are 3 feet down into the ground with 40 lbs cement each post. I used screws on everything- NO nails! Nails will tear apart quickly! I am getting close to making the roof, and I plan on using Hurricane Clips to support/brace the roof with, as well as the typical metal brackets. I'm planning on going overboard with bracing and supporting for our high winds. The coop is not finished, but we had no damage to it last week in the storm. Our neighbors lost their roof and we lost out buildings... my coop survived.
wink.png
I think it's all in how you built it and planned for your weather. If you've already built your coop, you can still add bracing and hurricane clips for your roof.

Last edited:
Thank you! It's not tied down or anchored (yet! Ha!). Bracing and clips, I'll look into them today. It's been quiet here, we haven't seen a good storm in years.

Sorry for your loss! Glad your chickies are okay.

I am wondering the same thing. My coop/run is screwed into a base that has 3 feet of rebar drove into the ground. The purpose of the rebar was to keep it from shifting on the ground. I don't think it will keep it from being uprooted. Should I move the birds (I only have 4 ) into the garage until it's over? Should I make them stay in the coop part? Not too sure what to do here.

We used those screwy things that you tie dogs outside to, they screw into the ground, would try to tie the coop down somehow with those. It will probably take longer to screw into the ground than anything else, but well worth the precaution. If I only had 4, they would be in the house with me. Heck, maybe all 100 will be inside, depends on how bad it gets. What's a little poop in the garage.....?

I have similar conditions as Hawkeye95. Our neighbors covered front porch was blown off the front, carried up and over the house, and landed in the back yard. Another neighbor bought a real nice 10 x 14 shed on skids and the wind blew it over. When we built ours we bolted it down to a slab and used hurricane ties on all the ceiling joists. It's built to withstand just about anything. I tell my husband that it's the safest place to go in an emergency...plus we'd have food.
wink.png

It really does need to be tied to a slab or footings in some way. If that's not possible, you could use mobile home anchors and nylon straps. Don't underestimate a CAT2... even if you're not on the "dirty" side of it.

Hi, From S.E. Louisiana.....Katrina 5 years ago was unbelievable. if your coop is not anchored to a slab or posts set in concrete I would move my chickens to a sturdier building. High winds, tornados and storm surge will take out most fragile building. Hope this thing hooks and turns out into the Atlantic. Know what it is like to see incredible devistation form a major Hurricane. Good luck all.
Erik

Quote:
lau.gif
I brought mine in the garage during the bad heat wave, good idea for this time around too. And it wasn't a little poo!

There's some articles online about windproofing sheds, doing my HW...

Back
Top Bottom