Hurry, my Chicken has to go to the Vet!

50-45-1

Free Ranging
16 Years
Feb 25, 2008
Northern Michigan (tip of the little finger area)
My Coop
My Coop
So here is one of my funniest chicken stories.

Years ago when I was building my greenhouse in the open area of my yard. I had to walk right by the front stoop of my chicken house where a lot of the chickens hung out to dust bathe and primp their feathers.

I did a lot of walking back and forth for different tools, hammer, different size screw driver, fresh battery for the power drill.... anyway I glanced over and my favorite hen SPOT was standing outside and she had some blood coming from her comb. She was a Speckled Sussex and had a large upright comb. It was so large that she had trouble eating out of my feeder sometimes. I figured she got it stuck in there and it cut her a little. Anyway I looked at it and it and I did not think is was to bad and I just went on with my work as I thought well it will coagulate and stop soon.

Every time I went by I looked at her and suddenly about an hour and a half later I realized she was Bleeding To Death!

OMG her face was pale and she was hunkered down sleepy like. I went into panic mode and wrapped her in a small blanket that I kept outside for the dogs to lay on. It was handy so I grabbed it. I called about 3 of the local veterinarians and one was still open.

I sat her in the crook of my arm and headed for the office that was about 8 miles away. I drive a ford pickup with standard shift and I will tell you steering, shifting and clutching was not easy with a chicken on your lap. ( yes, now I know I should have put her in a cage of some kind but at that time I did not have one of those cat carrier things)

At the one Stop light I was waiting for the light to change to green when a fancy car pulled up on the left side as they were in the turn lane, anyway this lady did a double take as she looked up at us with a confused and startled look on her face, like have you never seen a girl taking a ride with her chicken who was looking out the window.

Now mind you, I had been working in the yard in my most worn out clothes, paint specked, holy kneed, grimy things, tennis shoes with holes in the toes. I had no makeup on or even combed my hair yet that day. I just HAD to get my chicken to the vet before she died.

It did not occur to me how I looked until I stepped into the office....there were about 5 other people there nicely dressed waiting in chairs with there more conventional pets, you know dogs and Cats. I had hooded the blanket over Spots head a little bit as whenever she shook her head blood flew all over. Anyway I stepped up to the secretary desk and signed in and filled out the form

Name Spot,

Breed Speckled Sussex

Sex Female.

Age 2

Reason for visit, cut on her head

then I took my seat at which time Spot started getting ansy and talking. You know the kind. There is usually one in each flock who just talks and talks, always squawking about something. I don’t know if it chicken gossip or what. Anyway she is LOUD.

The people on each side of me leaned away and moved over. The German Short hair definitely knew what I had in the blanket but I don’t think that anyone else did. After an extremely long and uncomfortable amount of time it was finally our turn.

The vet simply looked her over cleaned and dried the comb. Held it tight to stop the flow of blood for a moment and swiped super glue accost it and immediately it stopped. Wow that was easy! I was so relieved!

Dr Nelson did caution me that this was the first chicken he had ever treated in his office and asked me if I would NOT tell anyone.

So.... of course this is my favorite story and I tell everyone who will listen.

So here is one of my funniest chicken stories.

Years ago when I was building my greenhouse in the open area of my yard. I had to walk right by the front stoop of my chicken house where a lot of the chickens hung out to dust bathe and primp their feathers.

I did a lot of walking back and forth for different tools, hammer, different size screw driver, fresh battery for the power drill.... anyway I glanced over and my favorite hen SPOT was standing outside and she had some blood coming from her comb. She was a Speckled Sussex and had a large upright comb. It was so large that she had trouble eating out of my feeder sometimes. I figured she got it stuck in there and it cut her a little. Anyway I looked at it and it and I did not think is was to bad and I just went on with my work as I thought well it will coagulate and stop soon.

Every time I went by I looked at her and suddenly about an hour and a half later I realized she was Bleeding To Death!

OMG her face was pale and she was hunkered down sleepy like. I went into panic mode and wrapped her in a small blanket that I kept outside for the dogs to lay on. It was handy so I grabbed it. I called about 3 of the local veterinarians and one was still open.

I sat her in the crook of my arm and headed for the office that was about 8 miles away. I drive a ford pickup with standard shift and I will tell you steering, shifting and clutching was not easy with a chicken on your lap. ( yes, now I know I should have put her in a cage of some kind but at that time I did not have one of those cat carrier things)

At the one Stop light I was waiting for the light to change to green when a fancy car pulled up on the left side as they were in the turn lane, anyway this lady did a double take as she looked up at us with a confused and startled look on her face, like have you never seen a girl taking a ride with her chicken who was looking out the window.

Now mind you, I had been working in the yard in my most worn out clothes, paint specked, holy kneed, grimy things, tennis shoes with holes in the toes. I had no makeup on or even combed my hair yet that day. I just HAD to get my chicken to the vet before she died.

It did not occur to me how I looked until I stepped into the office....there were about 5 other people there nicely dressed waiting in chairs with there more conventional pets, you know dogs and Cats. I had hooded the blanket over Spots head a little bit as whenever she shook her head blood flew all over. Anyway I stepped up to the secretary desk and signed in and filled out the form

Name Spot,

Breed Speckled Sussex

Sex Female.

Age 2

Reason for visit, cut on her head

then I took my seat at which time Spot started getting ansy and talking. You know the kind. There is usually one in each flock who just talks and talks, always squawking about something. I don’t know if it chicken gossip or what. Anyway she is LOUD.

The people on each side of me leaned away and moved over. The German Short hair definitely knew what I had in the blanket but I don’t think that anyone else did. After an extremely long and uncomfortable amount of time it was finally our turn.

The vet simply looked her over cleaned and dried the comb. Held it tight to stop the flow of blood for a moment and swiped super glue accost it and immediately it stopped. Wow that was easy! I was so relieved!

Dr Nelson did caution me that this was the first chicken he had ever treated in his office and asked me if I would NOT tell anyone.

So.... of course this is my favorite story and I tell everyone who will listen.
:lau:gig Well you got some good tips from him! Apply pressure to stop the bleeding and keep the krazy glue handy!

Back
Top Bottom