Hurt baby

Another source for help may be a waterfowl rehabilitator - they might have resources and information for the specific injury. You can get oral antibiotics at a feed store, should you decide to try that route. I would not be hasty to euthanize the duckling at this point - I would explore getting help with antibiotics.

Does anyone think that lancing the swollen place would be worth considering?

I don't know. If you do, you may have some bleeding to deal with. I wish I had more detailed information for you.

There is an Emergencies Forum. But duck questions often don't get responses - pretty much most who know about ducks just spend their time on the Duck Forum. Thinking out loud, here.

Epsom salt compress ought to help reduce swelling. Just don't let the duckling ingest any, since it is a laxative. I may have already written that, but I dread someone letting their sick duck get diarrhea on top of it.

I can do compresses, I can probably handle the bleeding, do dressing changes all the time at work, of course that is on people. I will not let him ingest any. Can ducks have penicillin?

For lance\ing I was thinking of using a hypodermic needle not cutting it open, just to drain.

Oh poor baby. Please don't euthanize him because of this. Ducks have a amazing ability to heal and adapt. I've even seen ducks with missing feet do OK. But, a vet would be a good idea. Be sure to look for a vet that specializes in birds and exotics. They can be a bit expensive, though.

You are a nursing student, yes? You understand more than many of us about some things. Yes, ducks can be given penicillin. I am not an expert about types of antibiotics and dosages. But there are some archived threads where people share what they have done.

Back
Top Bottom