Hurt Duck-- Antibiotics?

Brickman House

Songster
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Hi All,

We found our year old female Pekin injured yesterday. She has a couple of cuts, one about an inch and one about a half inch long. They don't look like they've gone through the meat, but they've definitely sliced the skin pretty good.

She laid around most of yesterday (we were really worried) but seems to be up and hobbling around a little bit today. She's clearly pretty sore, though, and we have her in the house, in a clean brooder with some heat, clean water and food.

We washed both cuts out well with an antiseptic solution, and then applied some BluKote, but I'm wondering if it's worth trying some oral antibiotics with her.

Does anyone think it would help (or at least not hurt?), and if so, what should I give her?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

I would just keep treating topically. Watch the wounds, and as long as there is no pus or major redness and/or swelling, keep treating topically. Is she eating well?

She seems to be drinking regularly, but doesn't seem to be eating much.

She ordinarily eats waterfowl pellets, and we put a bowl of them in with her, but she hasn't shown a lot of interest. Any suggestions to perk up her appetite, or should I just let it ride for a bit?

Back
Top Bottom