Hurt ducks

Mortimer

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 6, 2008
SW of Wichita, KS
We have six ducks total -- two females, four males. The females are one Pekin and one Khaki, males are two Pekins, a Rouen and Khaki.

They're all about 20wks or so. Females just started laying, if I could just find the dang eggs! Found a couple -- they're good at hiding them!

I noticed the female Khaki limping a bit yesterday. Today we had a big rainstorm blow through this morning and the ducks are having fun playing in the new rainpuddles everywhere, I noticed the two females are both standing on one leg. When they walk, they limp. Right leg on both of them.

A day or two ago, I noticed one of my RIR roos chasing the female Khaki around, mounting her constantly. 2-3 times in a row, he just wouldn't leave her alone. That roo is soaking in brine in the refrigerator as of this morning.
smile.png

I haven't tried getting ahold of either of the females to inspect them yet, will try tonight when they settle down for the evening. Any idea what's wrong with them? Strange they both have the exact same symptoms, is it due to being over-sexed by the males?

Ducks often get foot injuries if they walk on rocky/gravel areas or hard surfaces like concrete. It's probably nothing that a day or two in the isolation pen won't fix with a bit of rest. Check for a bump, that would be bumblefoot, and that's a whole different ball-o-wax.

It appears like the beginning of bumblefoot. If you use the search bar above, type in bumblefoot, you'll get a wealth of info. Usually, it turns black, infected, and is a form of infection. Here's what my ducks looked like:
23790_dsc05285.jpg

While that rooster problem was fixed, you still have a problem. Too many drakes. 2 drakes and 4 females would be great but you have the numbers backwards.

Yes I agree we definitely have too many drakes. I put an ad on Craigslist to get rid of three of the drakes (I figure keeping one is enough) but no takers yet. Another week or two and I'll be making meat birds out of them. I hear ducks are a PITA to pluck compared to chickens, is that true?

Quote:
naw thats not true if you know what your doing they are as easy as chickens (maybe easer) i have plucked a lot of ducks but never a chicken (those are my petz)

That's what I hear too...but it can depend on the breed. I read something about including some soap in the water to get the oils off for easier plucking???

I would do a google search for tips.

Back
Top Bottom