Hurt goose- need advice!

Thanks so much for asking. As expected, I was up multiple times during the night listening for any problems. At 2:30am I looked out the door and saw a fox (most likely the one that OPENED my chicken coop door and ate my rooster last week)...He is SLY. He was hanging over the water....My geese are used to my small dog, so I think they thought he was harmless. Needless to say I was out there in a heartbeat and coaxed Lucy (my girl goose)out of the pond. I put her in the garage for the rest of the night. This morning I brought Lucky (brother) in with her, but when I went to check on them he was wandering around the garage picking at my husband expensive car....(He would freak out if he knew). So- needless to say, he is outside with the "wild" crew. The pond is almost frozen again (it had thawed yesterday) so now he has to figure out how to maneuver the ice again. I hope he ok. Lucy is mostly resting. She still has barely eaten and barely poops, but she seems in good spirits. I would bring her in the house but I'm afraid it would be too warm.
It probably would be too warm, I'm glad you were able to get her out of the pond and to safety. I have to say this where do your 2 young geese Lucy and her brother sleep when the pond is frozen? if you have predators around they are in grave danger and not being able to retreat to the water makes it double dangerous. I have house for all my flock my geese, ducks and chickens,all have separate housing, I couldn't leave them out over night even 1 time we have all kinds of predators.

Does Lucy like shredded lettuce? you might try to entice her with some floating in her water, also some good poultry vitamins in her water till she is eating again will help to boost her immune system. Mine laso love whole corn I only give it as a treat and on really frigid days, but if you mix some into her reg feed she may decide to eat.

It probably would be too warm, I'm glad you were able to get her out of the pond and to safety. I have to say this where do your 2 young geese Lucy and her brother sleep when the pond is frozen? if you have predators around they are in grave danger and not being able to retreat to the water makes it double dangerous. I have house for all my flock my geese, ducks and chickens,all have separate housing, I couldn't leave them out over night even 1 time we have all kinds of predators.

Does Lucy like shredded lettuce? you might try to entice her with some floating in her water, also some good poultry vitamins in her water till she is eating again will help to boost her immune system. Mine laso love whole corn I only give it as a treat and on really frigid days, but if you mix some into her reg feed she may decide to eat.
I can see this is a problem. This is their first winter and they don't have parents to help them navigate. When they started sleeping outside around 4 months old they went off on their own. I assumed they were sleeping on our dock so they could jump in the water if a predator came. Later, they started sleeping in the water with the other geese. Now the pond is frozen and I did see a fox walk about 10 feet onto the ice yesterday. He eventually retreated, but it was scary. It's about 6:15am here now and all of the geese are gone. I don't know where they went now that their safe place isn't safe anymore. What could I possibly keep them in at night? They are really big!!

I can see this is a problem. This is their first winter and they don't have parents to help them navigate. When they started sleeping outside around 4 months old they went off on their own. I assumed they were sleeping on our dock so they could jump in the water if a predator came. Later, they started sleeping in the water with the other geese. Now the pond is frozen and I did see a fox walk about 10 feet onto the ice yesterday. He eventually retreated, but it was scary. It's about 6:15am here now and all of the geese are gone. I don't know where they went now that their safe place isn't safe anymore. What could I possibly keep them in at night? They are really big!!
I have used xlarge dog crates for over night sleeping but you'd have to have 2 of them. also you could set up temp fencing inside your garage that way they couldn't get to your dh's car Amanda 39 has made a pen inside her garage to keep her 2 in at night she lives in Michigan, I think she has pics if your interested in something like that I'll try and find the pics for you. Foxes are relentless and with their natural food under ground for the winter they will take on a goose in a heartbeat. I hope your boy is safe.

Hows your goose doing?
Thanks for asking. She is able to walk, albeit very gingerly. She definitely has a hobble. I hope she heals more. I'm keeping her safe inside at night and then letting her out during the day. I hope she continues to improve- otherwise she is going to be very handicapped.
sad.png

Thanks for asking. She is able to walk, albeit very gingerly. She definitely has a hobble. I hope she heals more. I'm keeping her safe inside at night and then letting her out during the day. I hope she continues to improve- otherwise she is going to be very handicapped.
sad.png
maybe she's walking too much too soon.hows her brother doing

maybe she's walking too much too soon.hows her brother doing
Probably right. He is fine. I've been trying to keep them together.
Since she is still hobbling, I'm going to take her to the vet today. It's probably a waste of money, but I can't stand to see her like that anymore. I'm guessing they are just going to say rest though.

Probably right. He is fine. I've been trying to keep them together.
Since she is still hobbling, I'm going to take her to the vet today. It's probably a waste of money, but I can't stand to see her like that anymore. I'm guessing they are just going to say rest though.
Well they can examine her probably better than we could so hopefully if there is something you missed it will show up, let us know what the vet says.

I was taking a little time to look through the threads tonight and wondered how this girl is doing?

Linda

Just wanted to send hugs and well wishes to Lucy : )

I've never known sweeter, more faithful, more protective, more polite and appreciative birds than geese (Canada females seem esp. reserved)...and they're amazing about healing as best they can and then adapting as much as they need. Warm baths, visits w/ her brother, treats, feeling secure, warmth, regular visits and lots of love will pay off in spades.

As for goose language, mine know snips of a few human languages as well as "goose" as well and the "Canada goose" accent (I imagine it's something like Quebecois...then, there's the vocal tone shared by brides and kids...easy enough for people to learn, too.) They're very intelligent little ones, but I think that's true of all geese
love.gif

Don't give up on Lucy (I'm guessing that's her name from her band,) and she'll never give up on you!
smile.png

Can she take in some electrolytes and vitamins/supplements?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom