Hurt leg URGENT

JakeMaz

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2022
My Easter egger hen has Been hoping around on her right leg while her left leg seems to be in a locked/fixed position please tell me what I need to do to fix her leg
image.jpg

How old is she? Is this the first day you have noticed a problem with her leg? Is she holding the left leg up? Is there any swelling or green bruising along the entire leg? Is there any scab or cut on the bottom of her foot? I can’t tell if her leg is injured or exactly what is going on? Tendon or leg bone deformities can occur. Does she put her leg down at all? Make sure that she is getting enough food and water. You may need to restrict her movements to force rest on the leg. Is a vet available for an xray?

How old is she? Is this the first day you have noticed a problem with her leg? Is she holding the left leg up? Is there any swelling or green bruising along the entire leg? Is there any scab or cut on the bottom of her foot? I can’t tell if her leg is injured or exactly what is going on? Tendon or leg bone deformities can occur. Does she put her leg down at all? Make sure that she is getting enough food and water. You may need to restrict her movements to force rest on the leg. Is a vet available for an xray?
This is the first day this happened she is not to old maybe like 3-4 years she is holding the leg up I think and no vet available

Last edited:
Can you keep her in a wire dog crate with bedding, food and water near the other chickens to rest her leg for a few days? Does her ankle look swollen compared to the other?

Can you keep her in a wire dog crate with bedding, food and water near the other chickens to rest her leg for a few days? Does her ankle look swollen compared to the other?
It doesn’t look much different but when I try to move her hurt leg around it is much more tight

I am not sure that I can diagnose what is wrong with her leg, since I am not a vet or without an xray. If a vet is possible, I would take her. I would keep her from being too active, and not let her jump or run. She looks to have some scaly leg mites that you can treat by apply vaseline to her legs and feet twice a week to smother the leg mites.

Back
Top Bottom