Hurt little Cochin Bantam roo

Verlin

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
Remote N.E. Washington State
I just posted to the contest & was going to post this too, but I know it's really far off topic so I'll take the time to post it separate.

I have to go sleep as soon as I post this friends; we spent most of the morning saving my special little Cochin Bantam roo from bleeding to death. He got in a fight with the 3 Silkie/Cochin Bantam roos & they really hurt him bad.

We finally got the bleeding stopped, but he lost quite a bit of blood. We will give him some Rooster Booster soon & try to get him perked back up. He is eating & drinking good but he occasional puts his beak on the ground draging it & backs up till he hits the end of the cage. He can walk forward OK & I think it's just that he is trying to get rid of all the caked on blood around his comb, neck & beak.

His name is Uno & after another little incident a few weeks ago he has adopted me as his hen, so he has really grown on me & I worry about him pulling through this one. I have him covered up so he will sleep for a while before we try to clean him up some, hopefully without making him bleed again. :\\

PS: Hey!! I have been a member of BYC for the past 3 years. Why does it say "New Member" ?????????????????? I even paid for a whole new year on BYC not long ago, but that's OK, I like to help support this wonderful place.

No one ever got back to me about helping out with anything either. Not that I really know if I can hold up to it. Just trying to fix up little Uno about sent me into a complete panic attack & I am totally washed out & I mean total. Even Carol gets worried sick about the way I react to any kind of stress these days. I feel very sorry for her that she has to even be around me when things like this happen.

Another PS: OK, I'm confused, what board am I to post on now days?? I hardly have the energy to check out one of them & make a post or two here & there. I just know I'm missing lots of good stuff folks!

God bless all you & have a great day friends.
smile.png

Verlin

Verlin,
I hope that your Cochin pulls through, just like any pet, seeing them like this wreaks havoc on your emotions, please keep us updated. Did I read your post right, you have 4 roosters?

hiya
well i just posted about my peahen that got plucked by my dog and they posted back saying use neosporin to guard against infection. and if he stops drinking use an eye dropper in the corner of his mouth. As far as the backing up it sounds like he's coming outta shock-thats about all i can help I'm busy on the peahen too sorry

I have 4 roosters too but 16 hens and more almost ready to join them. ! Rooster 1 of each breed Leghorn-Barred rock-Araucana and Rhode Island Reds-it seems to work great as long as they all have 4 or more hens

Verlin,
Sorry that you are having to go through such a stressful ordeal. Things will turn out alright and you will get past this.

Thanks everyone.

Well the little guy is doing far better, infact he is up to his old antics, trying to mate with my hand every time I go into his yard.

The Rooster Booster really perked him up too. It is absolutely a must to have around as far as I'm concerned. He was totally pale looking from loosing so much blood & today he is by far the brightest red combed & wattled roo out there. We have used it for some time now & even when we treated one of the other roos that had mite infestation, it brought back his color in one day.

We really had to fight those pest for several weeks, but I think we finally have them under control. We will start dusting all of them once a month now, just to be sure we don't have to fight a big battle again.

I do believe we are starting to get some spring weather. It's going to be about 60 today & all the babies love the sun & warmer weather.

Thanks again friends, I always appreciate the support & help. Have a great day & God bless.

Verlin

Verlin, I'm glad to hear uno is back to normal. It's amazing how fast chickens can heal.

Is rooster booster a specific product brand for electrolytes? I'm not familiar with it.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom