Hurt Peacock

Florida chick

Songster
12 Years
Jan 19, 2008
OK SO I had a guy over buying 40 ducks and he happen to "RUN INTO" my mature male Peacock. Well we brushed it off and now tonight Poor INdies leg is swollen at the joint. I AM FURIOUS! Is there anything I can do? Not to mention I can't really catch him. He came pretty wild and is loose on the farm
sad.png
He is lame but moving around on it and still flying
I am SOOOO BUMMED!

Quote:
well certainly if you cant catch him you cant help him. just wish him luck and go on... or net him.. tranqualize him and take him to vet. they are so strong and overcome so much.. i bet he will be ok.. jast make good food available for him and calcium.. he gonna need calcium. joint injuries are rough. good luck.jdy

I live in the country there are no aviary vets here. I was hoping there was something I could give him via food? I put out extra cat food for him.

lets hope he doesn't injure it further... IMHO he should be restricted (penned) so as to prevent further injury and then you can monitor him better

You might try calling avian veterinary departments at universities to see if they can offer advice since you don't have avian vets in your area. I really don't know if it's okay for peacocks to have glucosamine sulfate or glucosamine chondroiten which can help with joint injuries in dogs, cats, humans and many other critters. Perhaps some pain killer would help with inflammation and pain while he is trying to heal. I don't know the dose for peacocoks but for chickens the usual dose recommended on BYC is 5 regular (325 mg) aspirin (no substitues) crushed per gallon of water. So this guy ran into him with a CAR?
JJ

Back
Top Bottom