Hurt Rooster

Alondra Krost

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2020
I’m not sure if anyone’s experienced this but my husband found our rooster laying on the ground, he was originally was in one spot for about 2 hours and then moved closer to the coop, then my husband brought him in the house, we think he got in a fight with another rooster but now he is like in a deep sleep and he isn’t really moving. Does anyone know if he’s going to be okay or know what I should do to help him?

I’m not sure if anyone’s experienced this but my husband found our rooster laying on the ground, he was originally was in one spot for about 2 hours and then moved closer to the coop, then my husband brought him in the house, we think he got in a fight with another rooster but now he is like in a deep sleep and he isn’t really moving. Does anyone know if he’s going to be okay or know what I should do to help him?

Try to remove as much blood as you can, keep him warm. And put small dabs of hydrogen peroxide on small patches / comb. I would recommend to try get a veterinarian on. If or when he wakes up try to encourage him to drink some water and / or eat something.

Try to remove as much blood as you can, keep him warm. And put small dabs of hydrogen peroxide on small patches / comb. I would recommend to try get a veterinarian on. If or when he wakes up try to encourage him to drink some water and / or eat something.
He doesn’t have any injuries really though, that’s why I’m a little confused

No injuries as in hes bloody but you cant find an injury or as in hes not even bloody?

If he were in a fight with another rooster, he would have visible injuries and there would be some feathers around. Moving closer to the coop is instinct even when they’re sick so they can be closer to safety when night comes.... this sounds more like sickness. A tired chicken is going to roost / sunbathe to chill out but when approached should straighten up and perk up... not just lay there. Chickens don’t really lay down unless they are bathing - it’s normally not a good sign.
I would separate him so you can watch him and keep an eye on what the symptoms are. Check his crop first thing in the am and make sure it’s flat and thoroughly check him over for lice / mites. In the meantime make him some wet mash (just mix water with his regular feed, or offer him some scrambled eggs) and give him electrolyte water. Keep us updated on symptoms.

He definitely sounds like he is sick! I’d check his crop and abdomen to make sure that’s not the cause. He may have a bad case of sour crop. There are also quite a few diseases that can be identified if his abdomen feels “bloated” or if it feels swollen.

Back
Top Bottom