1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hurt turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by vboro farm girl, Mar 14, 2016.

1. vboro farm girl

vboro farm girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2015
    Vanceboro NC
    hey yall I need help I have a tom turkey that was bullying my dog the other day and he grabbed him and tore a hole in his chest, well I cleaned it up and sprayed blue kote on it, and have been watching it to make sure it don't get infected, today I have noticed he just stands around and has been limping his head is real pale and I think he is in bad shape someone please advise me on what I can give him to make him get better or I am afraid he's not going to make it too much longer

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    If he got bit in the chest area, you have to check and be sure that it didn't also tear a hole in his crop. If he has a hole in his crop, you just as well put him down.

3. vboro farm girl

Jun 18, 2015
    Vanceboro NC
    Do you think it would be ok to eat him or would it be too risky

4. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I accidentally poked a hole in a young tom's crop last year. Because I knew what happened, I processed him immediately. By waiting until he showed signs of being ill you have allowed him to possibly develop infections. Just the way I do things but I don't eat sick poultry.

1 person likes this.
  5. vboro farm girl

Jun 18, 2015
    Vanceboro NC
    Yeah that's what I was thinking not sure about infection and being bit by the dog, so ill put him down in the morning,... Thanks for the advise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by