1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Husband is really going to kill me over my chicken math skills!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenesis536, Mar 14, 2011.

1. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    Granted - I know I'm not at the level of some of you lucky folks that have more room, but my old man is about to kill me because I keep getting more! I had 6 to start, 1 ended up a roo... replaced him with 9... they are in their coop finally as of this past weekend... I know I'll have to rehome some already (1 is going tomorrow since I know he's a roo already)... but today I got 7 more.

I picked up 2 splash marans today at lunch... unfortunately both look like roos, but I'm going to be hopeful for now. I'll post pics soon. They are 3 weeks old but combs developing already. I would have said "no" but the lady had them in her closed up Mercedes at work, 70 degrees outside, in a bin with a lid on it. When I got there the water had spilled out, and I couldn't think of them spending another 5 hours in there. I hope one will be a hen... we'll see.

Then at 3, I picked up 5 more... 3 are cochins that are a white/blue with a little black on them and 2 are cochin/Ameraucana (not EE) crosses of the same coloring. They all look the same right now and are 5 days old - straight run. ADORABLE!!!

21... yes, I'm a freak, no flames please... I have homes for those I can't keep at some point already, and I'm stopping (at least for a year or two), but this last bunch is probably the cutest so far. I hope to end up with about 12.

My hubby keeps talking about moving "away" where we would have more property... I'm sure I could fill it up 2 seconds flat!! I love chickens!!!

2. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    o.k. Take ~ a ~ breath ~... Now go hug your hubby and tell him you realize your error and plan to fix it with his guidance. That you do have a problem and cannot be trusted during the spring. and that there is this weird group of people that have a similar problem on BYC. He can even read some post from some very sick people... Then go buy some more [​IMG]

3. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    [​IMG]

I made that same excuse to my boyfriend: "One is a roo so I HAVE to get 3 more!"[​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They always pull that " little chicks stuck in a closed Mercedes on a warm day" trick, I'm suprised people still fall for it.

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have the same problem! I am up to 28 now!

6. cmcourt

cmcourt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    I'm right there with ya! I was going to try "just a few". I did, a few from the local feed store. Then my daughter wanted silkies and the minimum order for McMurray is 25. So that is 28. Then, of course, they throw in the free exotic chick, 29. Finally, I decided that I wanted a White Crested Black Polish Roo in addition to the two WCBP pullets I ordered. A grand total of 30. Sure didn't take long for me to understand chicken math :) We have room for them all but my husband is pretty sure I have lost my mind [​IMG]

7. chknmomma

chknmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    Ah, chicken math.
    1 year into owning chickens and I "GET" it! We agreed to 5 or less. I've had 3 for the longest time. But one went broody, so I had to hatch some eggs under her for the hell of it. And then there is the silkie babies from last week for the kids 4H project. We are currently at 8. I'm hatching more for her class next month.

You know, chicks don't count as chickens, right? By my thinking, I still only have 3.
    [​IMG]

And oh my gosh - have you noticed that sound coming from all the local feed stores? It's like a siren song - calling me for more babies. CHICKS!!!

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    What I don't understand is why these men that live with us, and in some cases for many many years, don't understand that there is no way we girls can stop at just a couple of fuzzies. We need them they help us put up with our lives. The fuzzies are good at making breakfast, and one never knows who could show up for breakfast. It would be very rude to not have enough eggs to feed everyone. (If these people show up I just want them to know I am not cooking. They can cook their own eggs thank you.) So now I know that I need fuzzies, They are now paying for themselves, which is more than I can say for other things around here.

We need more fuzzy little chickens in our lives. How else are we going to support ourselves in our old age. A lot of good men just don't understand the value of chicken math.

9. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Maybe not, but it's nice that they put up with us anyway...
    BTW--I'm up to 20 chickens, 7.5 goats, 2 dogs, 40 snakes & 2 zebu...
    He says "We're destined to spend the rest of our lives together."

10. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Right there with you. I started out with ordering 10 pullets. They came with 10 packing peanuts. I sold 9 packing peanuts + 1 pullet, and died in shipping so that left me with only 9 chicks. Since I was a chick short I went to TSC and bought 6 st run Easter Eggers. Went back to TSC two days later and bought 6 red pullets, since I knew these were girls [​IMG] Kept 5 from the two groups and sold the rest. So that puts me up to 14. Realized I didn't have any bantams, and none of my TSC were getting any in I placed and order for 7 bantams and a guinea keet (always wanted them too). So that brings my total up to 21 chicks plus 1 guinea keet. But I figure I will only keep one boy so if any of my others turn into roos I will decrease my number and make my DH happy. He still doesn't know that more chicks are coming on Wednesday, its just better that he doesn't know [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by