husband just does not get the venalation thing .

bucky52

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2011
roll.png
i'am concern about venalation in my little hen house that my Dh built for me.he has been wonderfuly patient with all the projects that i have been coming up with.he says they have enough.we had a couple of cold nights and i'am pretty sure that two of my hens had some frost bite on their combs.

Many of the very talented contruction people I have consulted about my coop do not understand the ventilation needed in a coop.
That is ok. They may not be looking at it from the angle of animal husbandry and animal shelter buildings. They may not have experience raising animals.

Animals critters put out a lot of vapor when they breath and the manure puts out a lot of vapor. The animal shelter it self needs to breath to vent the vapor. I am going to increase the amount of ventilation in my coop this weekend beacuse I believe my coop needs more.

Read more on BYC here about ventilation and maybe share it with the DH.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

good luck

Last edited:
:hmm I'll never understand how people can't imagine fresh air being better. Does he work in an office building at all? Anyone who has can tell you that completely enclosed spaces with poor ventillation and a lot of animals/people inside makes for miserable conditions.

Quote:
I'd just borrow some of his tools and install a few vents up near the roof and see if it changes things.

Now I agree regarding the need for vents. I can even agree about the advisability of putting in a few extra vents near the roof. Where I leave you completly is when you advise her to "borrow" her DH's tools. That does not work here unless she need to quickly build a shelter for the new Ferrari she just bought me. Otherwise, I would prefer that no one borrow my tools.

lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Well...in my world, I own all the tools. I was just making a concession to having a husband with tools of his own.
big_smile.png
I know there is a system there somewhere that dictates that a woman must "borrow" her husband's things but it doesn't enter into my reality. I was just trying to use correct terminology.....
lol.png

Just give him specific instructions, don't say "it needs more ventilation" and leave it at that. It's too vague. "Sweetie, could you put a vent HERE" might work better. Your likely answer is "why" and your answer to that is "because I want it and I say so." That's really all that's needed
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom