Husband lost the chickens! Funny story.

Kimberchick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
So, my husband and I are new to chickens. We have had them a little over a month and last night, while I was at work, I got a panicked call from my husband telling me that he lost the chickens. We have an acre of land covered in fruit trees and grass but not a lot of places to "lose" chickens. He sounds panicked which is cute because I didn't know he actually cared about them. (Or he was scared to death of my reaction to said lost chickens). Anyhow, apparently he had been looking for them for a good 30 minutes before resorting to calling the wife. And all of a sudden I hear, "what the heck are you doing in the tree?!" Apparently, we have squirrels for chickens. They were at the tippy top of our 15 foot apricot tree. I didn't know chickens climbed trees. I knew they would roost on the low branches but not the top. I guess we both learned something. Poor husband of mine. They pick the one night he is in charge. I like that they are getting him ready for future children.
wink.png
. Does anyone else have a funny story of when you "lost" your chickens? Hopefully it will prep me for future antics.

HAHA! Yeah, apparently they weren't very graceful on the way down. I didn't get to see it but I saw all the leaves and broken twigs under the tree.

Lol. Right after you mentioned the fruit trees in the second sentence, I knew where they had gone. I have had chickens roost in trees before, and they can get high by flying from the lower branches on up. You might want to keep an eye on them around dusk to make sure they don't get into the habit of roosting there. They can also go hide in the shrubs if they are scared off by something.

lau.gif

Thanks for the laugh. I have never lost my chickens, but it took me 15 minutes to round them up into the coop last night! Mind you, there are only 5 chickens and they were in an enclosed run, but if it is not bedtime yet, they are like, "No, no, we won't go!". They will put themselves to bed at dusk, but I had to put them in early because of a thunderstorm coming through.

once we were in the living watching a show and suddenly I turn and there is one of are chickens sitting on the windowsill! and I looked behind her and there was a fox! Running around in the backyard chasing what I thought was one of our chickens I was so worried then I went out and there were no other chickens except for the for two I was scared out of my mind late I was sulking and suddenly there were all of my chickens standing by the chicken coop door waiting to be let in later we concluded that the fox must have chasing a squirrel or something

Poor guy, they gave him the scare of his life!!
big_smile.png
I had a couple of mine get "lost",after looking all over for them, in my yard. Not very big, mind you! They were up in the rafters of the hen house, but I had looked up there already! Silly girls, they sure can hide! Glad you found them all.

Back
Top Bottom