Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

Morgank

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2018
Europe, Estonia
Does anyone have any good advice to give? Today was not the first time a husky had killed a chicken (first one two years ago)The chickens are behind the fence, our 4 y. old husky was left guarded and he went through the fence. We were in the city for 3 hours and a disaster awaited us at home. The chicken is in the middle of the yard and the dog does not let close, showing teeth. How to behave? We've been ignoring the dog for several hours now. Husky is in our house at night, not outside ever. Both dogs are indoor dogs at night. Since we can't take the chicken away from him, I would leave the dog out for the night. We have an electric fence to him, because we live in the countryside and he kills all the smaller animals, when he is free. He's not stupid, he understands everything I'm telling him. (so long) I have bred several breeds before, I don't know what to do at the moment. Ignore and leave outside? He has water and food outside. He is the love of my life and i don't know what to do.

This might be a gross sugestion but few people tie dead chicken pieces on the collar of a dog and the dog can get sick of the smell and stop attacking the chickens. I don't know if this is legal though or really effective. Other people that are reading this thread is it? If it is and there is no alternatives, then for the sake of the living chicken you might have to stomach this. :confused:🤢

Here is a picture of my beloved dog with a dead chicken.
I myself have trained my dog and protected chickens. He killed the first one when he was young. It's been 2 years and he killed the next one today. We know what a husky is, and how difficult it is to raise this breed. The question is whether we ignore the dog until he releases the dead chicken or what we need to do. Is it right to leave him out for the night? Because at the moment I can't take the dog into the room, he has lost my confidence. Sorry my english language.

Attachments

• DSC07599.JPG
    DSC07599.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 118
From what I gather you are afraid of your husky that is showing you his teeth when you try to get near him.

To me this means you have no control over this dog which is using the dead chicken to show you that he is the one on top and you have to play by his rules.

A dangerous situation, be careful.

Is it possible for you to use your car to drive up to the dog so he has to move away and you can get the chicken? Losing the chicken might deflate his ego and you might be able to regain control this way.

I strongly recommend to get professional help with further training of this dog if you really want to keep him and stay safe.

Last edited:
Wait, just I just noticed that you said he is guarding the dead chicken and shiwing is teeth. This is possessive behaviour and it is really dangerous, take safety first please. You might need to bring him to one of those dog training places or get a dog trainer or train him yourself, but please, please be careful. This needs to be handled first before teaching him to stop attacking the chickens. Keep the chickens away from him for now.

How To Make Him Know That He Is Not The Boss
Move his bed out of your room if he is sleeping in your room, feed him after you eat, don't let him on the couch, limit house roaming area with gates and ect., feed him only the amount of food he needs for the size of dog he is, never give him humam food, don't let him jump on you, when going on walks make him walk beside you or behind you by controlling the leash, and tie him on a lease whenever he goes out, give him shade and water though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom