Hy-Line (Show) Australop Cockerel or Hen?

Hen or Cockerel

• Hen

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Cockerel

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Idk wait and see

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cross2Twins

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria, Australia
Hi BYC,
We recently received 3 Hy-line Show Australop Hens (Meant to be) but we have an issue.
1 seems to be a rooster:
Our Symptoms
  1. His/Her tail is always up
  2. The spur is showing at 19 weeks
  3. He is fighting with other top of the pecking order chooks
In a book a received for chooks I recently found that I could $500 AUS Dollars is this true? ( He is a Hy-Line Show and all Greenish Black feathers)

Here is some Photos:

A profile shot including legs is always best for sexing from a pic. But, if that bird is 19 weeks old, it's a female. Lots of females get spur buds, or even actual spurs. They're not a reliable indicator of gender.

I have a good feeling that is a rooster it is a good idea if your selling it cause u probably don't want it crowing and yes he would sell for $500 and cause he's a rooster a bit more money.I can tell he is a rooster by his spur bud and also he has a big wattle and comb and his tail feathers are up and they are green .If I were Australian I would buy him. He is really pretty and so stylish! SO CUTE FOR A 19 WEEK OLD!!!

I agree with donrae, if that bird is 19 weeks it is most likely a hen. My Black Austrlaorp has spur buds as well; many hens develop the buds but never grow spurs. A side shot would help. The hackle and saddle feathers will tell you the sex at this age; pointed, and it is a rooster. Rounded, and it is a hen.

I have no idea how much birds go for over there, but over here it helps if the bird in question has been to shows and has proven themselves as being very nicely conformed to the standard before they are sold for big bucks.

I'm with donrae too--at 19 weeks, that is most likely a hen. And if the bird is fighting with the top pecking order hens, that's an additional sign it's a hen. If it were a rooster, there would be no fighting because the hens would begin to submit to him. She's just an aggressive girl fighting for her place in the pecking order.

The spur buds mean nothing--even hens have those.

A side shot showing the feathers at the neck and in front of the tail would be super helpful, as was mentioned before.

That's a cockerel because of hackle and comb! One question does it try to mate and fight with the others

That's a cockerel because of hackle and comb! One question does it try to mate and fight with the others
The bird is 19 weeks old. That's a normal female comb for this breed. The hackle feathers look like normal female hackles to me. Rooster hackles are longer and skinnier and shinier.

I can't tell from your photo whether the bird has saddle feathers or not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom