Hybrid Corn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TillinWithMyPeeps, Nov 20, 2008.

1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I recently bought a couple of ears of Indian Corn at a farm stand. It may be Hybrid Corn, If I try to plant this, will the seeds not grow at all, or will they not grow correctly to maturity?

Thanks! [​IMG]

Edited To Correct Spelling.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
  2. BethinIrving

BethinIrving Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    You have to dry the corn first. Dry it hard. When danger of frost is over, plant the kernels.

I don't know if it's hybrid. Some are hybrids, some aren't. Some hybrids are protected by some legal thing similiar to copyright. That means you can't save the seed and grow your own.

Guess you'll know if the corn police show up at your door with a warrant for your arrest from the Monsanto Corporation.

(psst -- I'm not a Monsanto fan, by the way).

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd be certain that the corn has dried sufficiently and then in the spring, give it a try.

4. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Corn Police? [​IMG]

The reason that I am asking about the corn is that I acually took a couple of the seeds off and planted them. I had success with the seeds, and was hoping that someone would be able to verify that this would mean that they would be able to grow successfully to maturity. The problem that I had with the seeds was that the plants died a week or two after they germinated. I attributed this to the colder weather and shorter days, but was still not sure.

Does anyone else with experience have any idea?

5. BethinIrving

BethinIrving Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Hee-hee! [​IMG] There's no real corn police ...

Your question about germination actually has more than one answer.

The corn could be a hybrid that can't germinate.

And, the weather/temperature has something to do with germination as well. I always plant my corn when the threat of freezing is past.

If you look on the internet, there are folks who have non-hybrid seeds for sale and that would be your best bet.

We now live in an era where virtually all of our food and meat that is commercially produced really isn't fit for human consumption. All the genetic tamperings have not been a good thing, and people are sicker today than they have ever been in our entire history. I personally think part of the responsibility is the hybrid and genetically altered foods.

Heritage seeds and raising your own meat and eggs are the way to go. Google Heritage Seeds.

6. chandasue

chandasue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    MN
    Quote:DITTO! Pure evil... And I'm an ATHEIST!

7. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Quote:Seeds from a hybrid will probably germinate and grow but they won't produce the same plant as the one you got them from. Hybrids are a cross of 2 varieties and do not reproduce true.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Oh, but there are "seed police". When you buy most seeds anymore you have to sign an agreement not to sell seed from the resulting crop. We farm and recently one of our neighbors was fined $50,000 because he sold seed from his crop to another farmer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by