1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hydrangea's toxic?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kirkster5, Jul 18, 2008.

1. kirkster5

kirkster5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    My chickens will sometimes nibble on our Hydrangea's. I just read that theses plants are "Cyanogentic" and are toxic to animals. They dont seem to be having any problems and it's not like they are mowing them down just the occasional nip. Am I concerned?? I dont want them to get sick but removing these plants would be sad as they are so colorful.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I have 3 hydrangeas and all the chickens do is sit under them.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hmmmm... I recently got some after last year's plantings died and hen Annie has been eating the flowers, even before I could get them planted, which finally happened yesterday after work. My neighbors have them too. Hoping they are not going to hurt her......
    JJ

4. maryann momhen

maryann momhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    I've been looking and picking flowers dead or alive all over my yard...for ground cover that will make the place smell nice...the hydrangia don't really smell sweet or pungent...just fresh which is awesome...but I have so many of them....if they're not toxic id love to use them as ground cover..at least that would make the place smell better...but if they are then ill toss em into the woods...so far I've done daylilies which I know are fully edible..but they're gone now....but the leaves are edible too...and I got tons of them...hysop...mint...tons of it

5. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    My sheep and ducks ate all of our hydrangeas... no problems.

A lot of the "this plant is toxic to animals" come from a single or a handful of cases. The only example of hydrangea toxicity I could find googling was of a horse who ate an entire bush dying (and some horses have really finicky guts). But of course, do your own research.

Some of the "this plant is toxic" are also just wrong. People love to say tomato leaves are toxic because they contain solanine - but they don't - tomatoes produce tomatine instead, which is significantly less toxic. Potato leaves are what are actually toxic.

6. maryann momhen

maryann momhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    My girls always eat the hydrangea leaves. Love them. And they nibble the Flowers. Mine are white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by