Hydrogen Peroxide on eggs?

Warrior gamefowl

Chirping
May 5, 2020
I’ve been watching you tube videos on people spraying their eggs with 3-7% hydrogen peroxide on eggs before setting eggs? They all claim an improved hatching rate I am thinking I’m going to try it with about a hundred eggs that I’ll put in the incubator and would like to hear y’all’s experiences with this.

I have never tried this but it seems a little sketchy to me..............maybe don't try it on all 100 eggs, just 5-10 in case it doesn't go well.

I’m not sure 5-10 eggs will tell me if it’s helping. I’ve researched it best I can. And I see reports like Uff Da linked and other things saying peroxide and ascorbic acids are helping. I sure would like for somebody with real world experience to chime in but I think I’ll try it. Maybe on half. That would be a big enough number to get some data from. They are from I think maybe 10 brood pens so the eggs will be different breeds- well strains, they are all pure gamefowl but I’ll spray half randomly chosen eggs and see which half hatched better. Opinions??

If you want to have comparable data, have a test group and a control group of the same size that are going at the same time under the same incubation conditions. Spray the test group, leave the control group alone. That way you'll be able to compare hatch rates knowing that the only variable that was changed was the peroxide.

I washed my Ayam Cemani eggs with a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and water with cotton balls. I marked all the eggs I washed, after I washed 1/2 of them.
There were 20 eggs, 19 were fertile. 18 hatched. 9 had been washed and 9 hadn't.
I don't like to put dirty eggs in my incubators, and this proved to me that there's no reason too either.
I don't think it improved any hatch rate other than extremely dirty eggs don't hatch well.

If you want to have comparable data, have a test group and a control group of the same size that are going at the same time under the same incubation conditions. Spray the test group, leave the control group alone. That way you'll be able to compare hatch rates knowing that the only variable that was changed was the peroxide.

That’s exactly what I did. I put the eggs randomly into two groups. Both groups will have eggs from the same pens that were laid at about the same time.

we tried dampening eggs with hydrogen peroxide and patting them dry.. we did notice a slightly better hatch rate ( it is still bad due to incubator issues) that said we noticed that there was not a bad smell due to an egg going bad in the batch, that we had happening without the peroxide, so I would say it does something

we tried dampening eggs with hydrogen peroxide and patting them dry.. we did notice a slightly better hatch rate ( it is still bad due to incubator issues) that said we noticed that there was not a bad smell due to an egg going bad in the batch, that we had happening without the peroxide, so I would say it does something

All of that sounds good to me.

I too, have read a lot about using peroxide on eggs. Supposedly it’s actually a “patented procedure”. Spraying peroxide on eggs. And I read most hatcheries do it too. A lot saying it really DOES improve hatch rate. I read to use 3% which is the normal kind you get at the drugstore, and spray it right on the eggs and let them dry, before setting in incubator. Also you can dilute with water 1:1 and disinfect your incubator. I have some more silkie eggs coming this week that I’m gonna try it on...

Back
Top Bottom