Hydrogen Peroxide on eggs?

We had a duck egg explode this morning in the incubator, should we clean the eggs with a peroxide solution? If so, please advise what ratio and what to do as far as cleaning. If not peroxide, what should we use to clean the eggs? We are in day 16 in the incubation period.

We had a duck egg explode this morning in the incubator, should we clean the eggs with a peroxide solution? If so, please advise what ratio and what to do as far as cleaning. If not peroxide, what should we use to clean the eggs? We are in day 16 in the incubation period.

I would say if you could spray them down (reg 3%) and try not to rub (that pushes bacteria in). But I’m not sure farther along in incubation. I have some of that manna pro all natural egg cleaner, it says you can use that on hatching eggs. But I would like to hear everyone else’s thoughts, as well. Good Luck with your little ducklings.

So is that 3% meaning don't dilute it with water? And are you saying that your not sure if goid idea to use hydrogen peroxide on eggs that far along? And how do you get the rotten egg off without wiping the eggs?

So is that 3% meaning don't dilute it with water? And are you saying that your not sure if goid idea to use hydrogen peroxide on eggs that far along? And how do you get the rotten egg off without wiping the eggs?
If you get the regular kind that says 3% you don’t have to dilute. 1514F2E7-3134-4574-9128-FD2A4B8EC4A9.jpeg 0470DB6B-2375-43DB-AE43-E92F940319C5.jpeg

I think if you just mist, and only gently as you can, wipe the yolk off. If you don’t have too, don’t scrub the eggs all over. I will probably do this if I ever have an egg explode, no matter when it is. I’m not an expert though... Lol. Wishing you luck!

any update on this ?
I’ve tried it on 3 or 4 hatchings. I can’t say it’s increased or decreased hatching percentage. I’ll wash dirty eggs in clean water. I just use my hands and as gently as possible I dry them with a clean towel. It’s got to help some those mud covered eggs ain’t hatching so whatever hatches and a fair percentage do hatch is healthy birds that I wouldn’t have if I hadn’t cleaned them

I’m not sure 5-10 eggs will tell me if it’s helping. I’ve researched it best I can. And I see reports like Uff Da linked and other things saying peroxide and ascorbic acids are helping. I sure would like for somebody with real world experience to chime in but I think I’ll try it. Maybe on half. That would be a big enough number to get some data from. They are from I think maybe 10 brood pens so the eggs will be different breeds- well strains, they are all pure gamefowl but I’ll spray half randomly chosen eggs and see which half hatched better. Opinions??
You are correct. If you are looking for a difference of 3-5%, a sample size of 5 or 10 wont tell you anything - and repeating the experiment 10 or 20 more times with small sample sizes won't allow any confidence in the conclusion.

If you can set 100 eggs, then your sample size should be 50/50 test and control. Even then, the difference in successful hatchings will only average 1-3 birds - which is well within the normal random variation per hatching. Now if you repeat the 100 egg sample, say, 10 times, and a significant majority of the time, the treated eggs hatch 1-3 birds better than untreated, THEN you can say with confidence that there appears to be a small, but measurable, improvement.

Back
Top Bottom