Hydrometer for Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nguyenkinhphuc2, Dec 17, 2012.

1. nguyenkinhphuc2

nguyenkinhphuc2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    Hi all,

Do you know any good / OK hydrometer for incubator that I could buy at local stores (radio shack, home depot, lowes, tractor supply, southern states, agri supply, pet smart, petco...)?

Thanks,

Felix.

2. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    I use a combination thermometer/hygrometer from Wal-Mart. They are about $10. The thermometers are not real accurate but the humidity reading is pretty close.They are digital and easy for old men to read.

3. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I bought one from a cigar shop it is very accurate for both humidity and temp and it can be calibrated if need be or after putting in new batteries. Was about $20 and well worth it to me....

4. Brookhavens

Brookhavens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2012
    Brooksville,FL
    I bought a cigar humidor hygrometer off of Ebay. It was around $7 and they shipped it really quick. I like the fact that I can calibrate it before every hatch.

[​IMG]
    I also bought one of these calibration kits to go with it. I know you can use just salt and water but for a few bucks the kit was well worth it and is reusable.

[​IMG]

5. nguyenkinhphuc2

nguyenkinhphuc2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    Thank you all for your replies. Another question to all: where do you place the meters? Do you place them on the top of eggs or do you mount them to the glass window of incubator? If you place them on top of eggs, will eggs encounter problem when they are hatched? I ask so because it seems that normal thermometers / hygrometers are bigger and heavier than incubating thermometers.

6. Brookhavens

Brookhavens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2012
    Brooksville,FL
    I use egg cartons or egg trays to hatch so the hygrometer goes into one of the empty "cells" of the tray.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by