Hyper chicken.. always front of the class?

chickens45

Chirping
May 4, 2020
i have 3 chickens.. 2 barred rocks and one production red. All about 2 months old now.

They all have such distinct personalities it cracks me up.

Sam the production red has always hated being held or pet..itll squack and run if I ever touch it. She’s very observant though and stands back and watches and observes. She’s always last to get food and stays in the back when I feed treats. Been that way since a baby. I think sam is a girl.

Little Roo is I think a rooster. Well behaved mellow little guy. Just does his own thing, doesn’t cause a fuss. Independent and sweet. Likes treats but won’t get crazy about it.

Now Clarence.. is something else. I think maybe a rooster? I’m not sure But he’s always been friendlier than the other two. As he grows older and more comfortable with me, he’s reminding me of a kid that always has to be first in line.. always has his hand raised. Sometimes very hyper active.

Clarence will run up to me when I open the door and will let me pick him up and pet on him. He’s always all over the place.. anything that goes on he has to be first to Check it out. He’ll sneak out of the coop sometimes and go for a little joy ride when I’m busy and forget and leave the door open.

he’s the ring leader of sneaking into the gardens :/

And lately sometimes when I am feeding treats clarence will raise up and try to snatch the bag or food or whatever I have with me out of my hands! He pecked my hand today when I was trying to get a treat from the bag. Not hard at all though. He’s just very impatient.

im worried that he’s going to be a mean rooster as he ages.
Are these behaviors worrisome and bad signs?

he doesn’t bother the other chickens that I’ve seen. They do their little fluff up and argue thing sometimes but nothing major. He doesn’t fight them for food or anything either.
I also put them a perch And they won’t use it to sleep on.. they still cuddle up with each other. They do use the perch during the day. They seem like good buddies so far

It may be too soon to tell if he is going to be mean. I have had some that began by being bossy and then sorta calmed down after a few other hens put them in their place. I have read not to coddle roosters, or make pets out of them or they will think you are inferior--sorta let them know you are the "person" who owns them instead of friending them, but I am sure there are plenty of views on that. Maybe in a few minutes someone who knows roosters better than I do can come give you some better advice.

It may be too soon to tell if he is going to be mean. I have had some that began by being bossy and then sorta calmed down after a few other hens put them in their place. I have read not to coddle roosters, or make pets out of them or they will think you are inferior--sorta let them know you are the "person" who owns them instead of friending them, but I am sure there are plenty of views on that. Maybe in a few minutes someone who knows roosters better than I do can come give you some better advice.
Yes I have heard that too. I pet all my chickens and when clarence acts that way I do what I read somewhere.. I look him in the eye and scold and raise my arms to the sides. He usually scampers off and stares at me

he’s such a sweet little thing though.. for a chicken hes so full of personality. He got stuck in a woodpile this evening and was chirping up a storm while the others were looking at him like “seriously??”

he also discovered rocks next to the garage and had a great time kicking up rocks That bounced off the side of the garage

lol he’s a little handful

Back
Top Bottom