Hyper chicks, a hyper silkie and 2 eyes crusted shut?

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
Not sure whats going on. Ok I have 5 polish and 1 teenage silkie staying indoors atm. Still with a heatlamp because our house is colder than heck. 2 of the polish have developed an eye issue. Both on the left eye. Both came open with a bit of warm water. They have antibiotics in the water atm because i thought it might be a cold. They are on medicated feed. They were on ACV until I put the antibiotics in the water but only for a week. Doesn't seem to be injured but it could be. They play constant and it doesn;t always seem to be gentle play. They are forever hoping on each others back or riding the silkie. I probably did the wrong thing but I have a bit of eye ointment left from when my daughters eye got over irritated. They gave me the left over just in case the problem continued. I used a tiny tiny bit around their eye.

Is this a cold? no sneezing or funny breathing. Poop looks fine, smells horrid, and there is lots of it. Everyone is drinking and eating like little sloppy pigs. They are all so hyper I would not even know who to separate to make the issue stop

I'm by no means an expert but I had a similar experience & felt I should share what I did:

I had a bantam Cornish shipped to me from a hatchery with a bad eye infection in both of his eyes. I used a q-tip with warm water to carefully remove gunk/shavings/food etc. several times a day, gave him some antibiotic eye drops I happened to have around, and put antibiotics in his water. Even if you don't have drops (I'd recommend against it anyways, it was a last-ditch effort to save him from dying) the antibiotics in their water will hopefully clear them right up along with being separated from the other chicks. Keep an eye on them and keep their eyes as clear from debris as possible and they'll hopefully recover...

Hopefully it is just an isolated incident and your chicks recover quickly!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom