Hypothetical Introduction

TyRi

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Feb 19, 2024
Northwest Ohio
I'm set to get my chicks at the end of February. I hope for no issues but have a hypothetical in my head that I would like some input on. I have ordered 15 chicks straight from Hoovers Hatchery. I know TSC gets their chicks from there so that is how I got to them. My question is, if (god forbid I lose a few in the brooder), would I be able to swing by TSC and grab a few more to replace them? Would I need a separate brooder for the new chicks or would I be able to just put them in with the others? Just make sure they all get along with the new ones? Again, hope to have a flawless brooding period but want to have an idea if things do go south. Thank you!

:welcome

If you got them through Hoovers and not TSC, then TSC will not replace them. You’ll have to buy new ones. If you do, you should be able to add them right in if they're close in age and/or size. They'll straighten out the pecking order by height not pecks, and should settle in fairly easy. (Introdcing chicks of similar age and size is a lot easier than adding adult chickens to an established flock.)

Back
Top Bottom