Hypothetically...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Morgan7782, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    [​IMG] that's how it starts hm? LOL

If one were to use a shed and convert it to a coop, what would be the best material to work with? Wood? Metal? Plastic? Opinions are needed Oh Mighty Coop BYCers! [​IMG]

2. pebble

pebble Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    Spokane WA
    If you are going to use wood, it would be best to stain it to water proof it. Plastic and metal, I know nothing about them![​IMG]

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Wood, waterproofed and stained or painted so it's easy to clean. Metal is harder to ventilate, IMO, and plastic cracks sooner, depending on your weather. Wood lasts. [​IMG]

4. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    WOOD, hands down!!
    Wood breathes, and insulates.
    Metal or plastic coops are ovens in the summer and ice boxes in the winter.
    Wooden buildings are comfortable in both seasons.
    Paint or varnish it. Seal it with water seal to prevent rot.
    Check out the Coop link at the top of the page, to see how the other 65K people here have built their coops. [​IMG]

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Great! That's what I thought too! Our winters are mild here, but the summers, whew! Thanks a bunch [​IMG] My Mom wants to try to get a big shed to convert to a coop, or something to convert to a coop, so I can house all 5 girls together, and use the spare coops as 'broody' or 'grow out' coops. My goal is to have my girls together this time next year, at the latest [​IMG] we are working on a budget but I think I can find a low priced wooden shed somewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by