I’m getting my first chickens.

Welcome. I know you already bought your coop but not the chicks. If you cannot return the coop, then I would suggest not getting anymore than 3-chicks. Pre-manufactured coops overstate the number of chickens by doubling the reality. Also, we can help you improve the ventilation in the coop, because most premanufactured coops are lacking in this area.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

I agree with all the above posters, prefab coops are horrid. The manufacturers advertise how many chickens can fit into these things and trust us, these coops can barely fit 1 bird! Chickens need a LOT if space for mental and physical health, buy a 8x10 or a 10x12 shed and make a coop out of it. You and the birds will be glad you did.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Hello, I am new to raising chickens.
I bought a movable coop and run that advertises it can accommodate up to six chickens.

This is my first step toward being self sufficient. I plan on rotating the chickens around my garden area to help with bugs and turn up the soil.

Right now I’m trying to decide if I want to get laying chickens or chicks.
Welcome to BYC!!

Welcome. I know you already bought your coop but not the chicks. If you cannot return the coop, then I would suggest not getting anymore than 3-chicks. Pre-manufactured coops overstate the number of chickens by doubling the reality. Also, we can help you improve the ventilation in the coop, because most premanufactured coops are lacking in this area.
They will have the run of most of my garden most of the time. It’s about 100’ x 50’. I only plan on starting with 3 or 4 chickens because it’s so new to me.

I bought 22 acres a year ago, so as I’m more comfortable building a larger more permanent space, and know I can adequately care for chickens, I will upgrade. All my animals are pampered and well taken care of. The chickens will be as well. 😊

Update. Just like everyone said the prefab coop I bought is awful. It started falling apart as I was assembling it. I used materials I had on hand to reinforce it. Also, it was supposed to be mobile but the wood it came with cracks and breaks where there are screws so I made it permanent and cut a hole in the end to attach to the run. Collecting eggs is a chore. Have to squeeze my upper torso into a small window to get the eggs. 😂

Update. Just like everyone said the prefab coop I bought is awful. It started falling apart as I was assembling it. I used materials I had on hand to reinforce it. Also, it was supposed to be mobile but the wood it came with cracks and breaks where there are screws so I made it permanent and cut a hole in the end to attach to the run. Collecting eggs is a chore. Have to squeeze my upper torso into a small window to get the eggs. 😂
Start building a real coop. The next thing that's undoubtedly going to happen is it's going to be broken into by predators. They really are horribly designed.
Depending on the size of your flock you might want to consider converting an old shed. Sometimes shed builders pick up old sheds before they deliver the new shed to a customer. You might want to hit them up to see what they have in the way of old sheds. Even if it's in bad condition you can repair it relatively easily compared to building from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom