Votes: 0 0.0%
  • For sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aveismehname

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2018
BC, Canada
hey all!!! Just got 5 chicks in August (so crazy how fast they grow up!!), 4 hens and one rooster! I’m kinda just winging it (pun intended) as I go along and trying my best do make my chickens healthy and happy. Man are they just fun little things! I have two dogs, one with I super high prey drive, that is currently not allowed to meet the chickies, and one that ADORES the chickens. My dog with the high prey drive is one of my only concerns for my chicks. (Any tips on how to get them used to each other are greatly appreciated). I’ve never had chickens before, and at the moment they don’t have an outdoor area, as it is starting to get very cold out (I’m in northern BC Canada), and I am unsure of what temperatures they can brave, and also am worried about how my doggie would react. The five of them are living in an approx 15 square foot coop, with additional space in raised laying box type things. I’m not sure if this is enough space by regular standards, but they seem to be doing very well. I’ve been feeding them standard chicken feed, as well as additional food such as kale, blueberries, bananas, apple, carrots, chia, sesame seeds, raspberries, spinach, and occasionally a mandarin orange. They really seem to enjoy all the food!!! They aren’t laying yet, but I figure since it’s winter and they aren’t getting sunlight that they probably won’t start till spring (correct me if that’s wrong though!). I’m super happy to be involved in this cool site, and am happy to hear any tips that could help me make my chickens as happy as possible!!
:)
(Attached is a picture of them the day I got them!!)
113CC8BB-1FB2-458A-AC73-B5598AE22F26.jpeg

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
You'll have to keep your high prey drive dog on a leash at all times when he is around the chickens and correct him whenever he shows the slightest interest in attacking them. I have three dogs that will never be allowed loose around the chickens. Some do very well with chickens, others you can never trust.

Back
Top Bottom