I’m not sure if these are mites? What to do and can it affect my other animals.

@nuthatched so I’m currently gutting the coop, and I’m about to leaf blow it all out, and then spray it, but my question is, do I have to spray up the walls or on the ceiling at all? And what about the run? And do I have to spray evwry square inch of the floor? There is a bit of bedding in the run that has gotten tracked out of the coop from birds and now me scooping it out. And can we eat the eggs after I use the permethrin on them?
Every nook and cranny in the coop, though, I wouldn't recommend a leaf blower.

I believe it is actually poultry lice. They are tan ish yellow ish

Attachments

• 833A176E-F651-4445-8EFE-EB4A970799CC.jpeg
    833A176E-F651-4445-8EFE-EB4A970799CC.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 2
Well it seems worse than I thought. There’s tons of little black bugs scuttling around in the coop. I don’t know what to do. 😭😭😭 I sprayed it down but then ran out of solution so I’m making more now

Ok. Thank you! I scooped and swept the coop all out before I blew it, I just used the leaf blower for the leftovers and cob webs etc. I sprayed the entire coop and all the birds yesterday. I’m going out of town for over a week so unfortunately it will be a little over seven days 😬

Ok. Thank you! I scooped and swept the coop all out before I blew it, I just used the leaf blower for the leftovers and cob webs etc. I sprayed the entire coop and all the birds yesterday. I’m going out of town for over a week so unfortunately it will be a little over seven days 😬
Which means you are going to have to start all over again.

If you do not stay on top of treatment to get rid of these nasty things then they multiply like crazy.
You have to break the life cycle and in order to break the life cycle you must treat every 5 to 7 days.

@picklestheduck - Just because I haven't seen it mentioned yet and you said you had barn cats, please be careful while spraying the coop *if using Permethrin*. While permethrin is frequently used as an insecticide and is safe around many animals, it is highly toxic to cats!! Once the product has dried it is no longer a danger to cats. Good luck with whatever buggies you're dealing with.🙂

@picklestheduck - Just because I haven't seen it mentioned yet and you said you had barn cats, please be careful while spraying the coop *if using Permethrin*. While permethrin is frequently used as an insecticide and is safe around many animals, it is highly toxic to cats!! Once the product has dried it is no longer a danger to cats. Good luck with whatever buggies you're dealing with.🙂
Thank you!!!!! That is extremely helpful good to know! Thankfully the coop is in the middle of a fenced off run that the cat cannot get into so it’s all good but I will be extra careful when transporting it to and from the barn and coop! Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom