I’m thinking of adding some cream legbars to my flock. Thoughts?

Skyleen13

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
I’ve got a flock of 10 grown hens so far. I’ve become obsessed. I’m completely in love with raising them. I even adopted a rooster that is very nice to us. He’s been great with his ladies. Recently I had one of my young hens go broody on me. I let her sit on eggs but none proved viable. As a result I went out & got a few day old chicks for her to raise. I put them under her at night & took the eggs away. She’s being a great momma. Now I’m thinking of adding 2-3 more to my flock besides the 4 I gave her. Those are the cream legbars. My sister has had them in the past & she liked them but they tended to be jumpy. I’m trying to get some more info on the breed from people who’ve raised them. Please help me decide. I’ve got room to have 25-28 chickens in the 2 large coops I’ve got. They’ve also got a large fully enclosed run. It’s 50’x25’x6’. It’s got a large pie tree one side of the run bends around & lots of branches for them to climb around on.

I’ve got a flock of 10 grown hens so far
Over a year old?

Adding chicks to a broody is one thing, but you'll have to integrate the CLB as a separate deal. Might want to figure how to do that before getting them.

I like my CLB's.
Never really handled them much, they are kinda of skittish, but certainty not docile.

Over a year old?

Adding chicks to a broody is one thing, but you'll have to integrate the CLB as a separate deal. Might want to figure how to do that before getting them.

I like my CLB's.
Never really handled them much, they are kinda of skittish, but certainty not docile.
There was mention of 2 large coops so I’m hoping one is still empty for the new CLBs to occupy. I had the same thought as you though.

There was mention of 2 large coops so I’m hoping one is still empty for the new CLBs to occupy. I had the same thought as you though.
Yes. One is empty. It has a small attached run on it. The large run is attached to both coops but I can seal them off one side at a time. They can see each other & interact but only through a fence.
how old should the babies be before I let them all freely interact? Aka no fence between them?

LOL! That’s a question I’m still trying to answer myself. I have 6 week old pullets looking at year and a half old hens through a fence. I didn’t follow good methods getting to this point so I’m kinda nervous. I should have had them in close contact from day one but my setup didn’t allow it.

Back
Top Bottom