I’ve had two laying hens for over a week and they haven’t laid any eggs

Hey there!

I’m a brand new chicken owner. I bought two “laying hens” from the farm store and have had them for a week. They laid an egg the first day I got them, but nothing since then. They know where the roost and nesting boxes are - they laid their first egg in it.

Is this normal?
Chickens like routine and change usually upsets them at first. Make sure you don't have some older hens bullying them because the ones you had longer sometimes will bully the new. They will probably start laying anytime. Production red is going to lay eggs. I have only one left but had 4 and mine lay 1 egg every other day. I sell laying hens and I always let the buyer know that they may not lay for several days.

Hey there!

I’m a brand new chicken owner. I bought two “laying hens” from the farm store and have had them for a week. They laid an egg the first day I got them, but nothing since then. They know where the roost and nesting boxes are - they laid their first egg in it.

Is this normal?
It is very normal and common for laying hens to stop laying after their location is changed.
Whenever I've added a new laying hen to my flock,she lays for the first day and then stops for a week or two,then starts laying regularly.
I purchased 4 laying hens two months ago,they laid on first day and then didn't for the next 10-12 days.
After that they started laying and have been laying regularly since.

Hey there!

Is this normal?
Yes, if they are new layers, just give them a chance to settle in and make sure they always have food, plenty of fresh clean water, oyster shell and grit available.

z
They’re production reds. They said they were either ready to lay or within a week of laying. Hoping it’s just a matter of settling in

And the laying hens I sale are the hens that were laying from the year before so I know the chicken well when I sell her. And production red is a good layer but the problems I had with the last group is they went up in a tree to roost at night. Then I go to close the pen in the evening and they aren't there. Therefore in the morning they had an early start and didn't lay eggs in the nest and I found the eggs sometimes much later in an area all together.. But clipping wings will fix that but I hate clipping wings. I sort of settled it by getting a ladder and actually getting them down and making a lot of racket about it and then after the experience they began putting them selves up like the others. They are the only chickens I have ever had to do that. And from time to time they would try it again.

Back
Top Bottom