I adopted a stray cat, now what?

Nov 30, 2018
So I took in a cream colored tabby female and I never had a cat. I need some tips and important things on bringing her to the vet and what to do there and some other basic things like litter box training and grooming. I have a dog and they don't really care about each other but sometimes when my dog does a sudden move, the cat hisses. How do I get my cat and dog to get along and what are some things I need to keep in mind?

They will adapt in time.

Cat carrier for her trips is a must.
Stray....have her tested for feline leukemia etc...
Shots are a must.

If a cat .... Any cat ever bites you and breaks the skin see a doctor. Not a few days later but right away. Cats carry a bacteria that can kill if it gets in the bloodstream. For real, not kidding.

A good scratching post is a must. Easy to make with a bit of low pile carpet, 2x4 and a chunk of plywood for the base. Ours was built with an air stapler and screws but I am sure there are other ways to attach the carpet. Just 2.5' tall is tall enough for scratching on.
A cat tower can be easily built with some sonotube, 4x4, carpet and sisal rope. Attach everything to a base of plywood so it does not tip over.

Cats like to be up high and that tower will help give her a dog free zone. It will also help keep her off any bookshelves. ;)

Having her spayed will help keep her from feeling the need to run off as well as prevent health issues. I am pro-spay and neuter.

Catnip and kitty toys are good things to have too. If your dog might swallow a kitty toy I suggest the ones that are a stick, string and toy on the end. It puts YOU in control of where the toys are. A bit of catnip rubbed into the scratching post and tower will draw her to them....and save your furniture.

I would not ever declaw a cat. The procedure basically cuts off the equivalent of the last joint on a hand. It can make scratching in litter painful......causing her to potty everywhere else. :sick That is a smell that does not wash out.

Enjoy her, pet her, love her and play with her.

Oh and kitties are self washing. :D

Agreed. I made my cats a scratching post with some boards and old carpet, they enjoy being high up. My cats pick and choose with my dog, my Calico hates her, my Maine coon doesn't mind her until she starts getting in on her. I wouldn't keep her inside all the time, my strays never like being inside, we have an indoor built porch for them if they need to go inside so the dog doesn't bother them, my cats tend to ask for food whenever they want, don't give it to them even if they beg, cats get over weight easily.

@21hens-incharge pretty much summed it up, if you have any more specific questions we will be glad to help.
Oh, watch out for the occasional hair all on the floor...it’s normal. It just may be scarey at first. They do sell little sticks for helping with hair balls..if your kitty does a lot of hacking!! Good luck with new new ball of fun! Can we see pictures?

Oh, watch out for the occasional hair all on the floor...it’s normal. It just may be scarey at first. They do sell little sticks for helping with hair balls..if your kitty does a lot of hacking!! Good luck with new new ball of fun! Can we see pictures?
This is when I first met her [a bit blurry]
IMG_20191207_143928.jpg

And my family and friends say she's beautiful

This is when I first met her [a bit blurry] View attachment 1978356
And my family and friends say she's beautiful
Shes very pretty! You will want to get her vaccinated for rabies and distemper. You can also vaccinate for feline leukemia but thats really only needed if she is to be an outside cat. You might want to get her microchipped as well in case she gets out. Keep her in a small room with the litter box and food and water. Cats are smart and usually will figure out where to do their business. If she poops on the floor just move it to the box. She will get the picture eventually. Have the vet do a fecal and blood test for parasites. As for getting the cat and dog to get along, put something of hers in with your dog and something of the dog's in with the cat. Once they can smell each other they are less likely to assume it is a threat. It took our cat 4 months to be willing to come upstairs after we introduced our new dog into our home. They still dont get along. My cat has her claws but doesnt bring them out. She will smack at our dog and hiss at her but that's about it. It takes time and trust building is all. Congratulations on your new pet :clap

Back
Top Bottom