I always get flogged by my precious roosters

F50myster

Songster
9 Years
Dec 21, 2010
Central Coast
Whenever i go feed my chickens i get attacked by my 1 year old silver seabright cock, he started out doing this very young but i still kept him because he is the best rooster i have. well now guess what!? now not only does he attack me but also my bantam easter egger roos attack me too! its like 4 against 1! why!? is it cause they hate me? lol i bought them and raised them myself but they only attack me and not my dad or anyone else! today he attacked me and cut my leg. what should i do with him? hes really good with the hens right now hes yelling because there are hawks flying overhead! got to go!!

Last edited:
Amongst my several roosters, I have two Silver Sebright Roos, Alex and George. George flogs any visitor and occasionally tries to flog my ankles, too. I just walk the little bastid backwards until he gives up. Alex just follows people - including me - very closely, making sure nobody harms his hens. Once or twice, Alex has attacked George when George was about to go after me. Alex is much smarter than George.

My dominant roo, Carl, is an EE and he will kick George's butt is he tries to flog the ankles of anybody Carl knows is a friend to the flock. If he's around when George does it, that is; Carl has nearly two-thirds of an acre to patrol.

Quote:
lol my silver seabright roo is my dominant roo...
hmm.png
and yeah he just follows me around closely too but then he attacks! and i put my leg up to try to push him away then the rest of them start attacking me lol the way i sometimes get around them is by waving a plastic bag in front of them haha because they run away shouting warning calls

They're protecting their girls and trying to make your their.... *ya know.*
You just gotta show him who's boss.
Some people stalk.
Others boot the butt.
Others do time out.

Trial and error will show you how to make your rooster your... *ya know.*

Lots of folks will tell you if you have to assert your dominance more than 2 or 3 times with a nasty roo then it's time to cull him. Chase the lil suckers down and hold them down or hold them upside down. YOU are top bird. It's not worth the trouble because a nasty roo takes the joy out of caring for your flock.

jessica.anne :

Lots of folks will tell you if you have to assert your dominance more than 2 or 3 times with a nasty roo then it's time to cull him. Chase the lil suckers down and hold them down or hold them upside down. YOU are top bird. It's not worth the trouble because a nasty roo takes the joy out of caring for your flock.

I don't know that two or three times is going to cut it with a young rooster full of hormones. If you work with him firmly and consistently he may get over it. He's young and full of himself right now and he's trying to make sure you know he is the boss! My big RIR went through this nasty stage at about a year old. When he would come at me I'd run right at him, I carried a barn rake for protection, not to hit him, but I'd run his rooster butt all around the pasture until he was scared and squawking. Then I stood out there and kept him away from his hens. They are MY hens after all, he comes second! He did not rejoin them until I let him.

I did this consistently for several months anytime he'd get an idea to come after me. He's 2 1/2 now and is a great rooster, I keep an eye on him but he has not offered to bother me for many months, can't even remember the last time we had it out. He was sick recently and I had no trouble picking him and holding him to medicate him, even when he was feeling himself again. He even traveled to the vet and was handled by the vet and his tech with no problem at all. He will come to me to be hand fed a treat and get the occasional pat. He is a very different rooster with a bit of training!​

Quote:
X2!! In my case I have children. It's not worth it to me to risk injury to my kids. I had a particularly nasty cuckoo Roo...even after chasing him down and kicking his butt a few times he refused to learn his lesson. He ended up being really tasty fried next to some mashed potatoes and collards.
smile.png

I know this method is unappealing to some...but it's what works for us!

Back
Top Bottom