I am a failure....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by boilerjoe_96, Apr 25, 2008.

1. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Put 34 eggs in on 4/1..... Had 3 eggs hatch by Tues 4/22.... I have pull 6 out as not fertile.... the others.... appeared to be developing...but just stopped.... Have kept it running since tues and nothing.... guess I need to toss them out....

First time I was 5 out of 7 fertile eggs.... this time about 3 for 28.... I have no idea what went wrong... I use an egg turner and a fan... there was some difference between to old fashioned thermometers and the digital one... I used the digital one at 99 or 100 degrees.... I am kind of bummed.. they were just mutts but they were my mutts.....

2. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    I know how you feel. [​IMG]

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm really very sorry. How was your humidity?

4. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Nope, you're never a failure until you give up!

Did you use the same thermometer as you did last time? Apparently it gave you a good hatch last time. Are you using the same incubator? Try to replicate the conditions you had with your first hatch, if you decide to try again.

Enjoy your 3 newborns! [​IMG]

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree with DrakeMaiden - you are NOT a failure!! You're learning how not to do it in the future. You just need to keep working at hatching those eggs until you figure out what's not happening correctly.

There are lots of people here that can help you get it right when you incubate ... I'm not one of them. But... I want to encourage you to keep trying.

6. John T

John T Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    SE, IA
    Sorry to hear that. You have three that need you.

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Wasn't it Einstein who said he'd learned 100+ ways NOT to make a light bulb? Or something like that?

8. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't despare...Hang in there!
    It could be worse...just ask Shari32..I bet you don't have her beat at NOT hatching! [​IMG])))))

Incubating is something most have to work at before it's "mastered" and then just about anything can happen!

9. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Trust me I have been there and felt the same way. I chock it all up to experience and learn from what I did wrong. I felt like giving up too, but I know another batch of eggs will be right around the corner. It's an addictive habit and you have wonderful people on here to help you out! :aww

10. tntstanifer

tntstanifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    Tennessee
    I'm really sorry [​IMG] I know how you feel! If you did your best though, you're not a failure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by