I am a new guinea owner.

horsesandguineas

In the Brooder
May 26, 2017
I have raised the keets and then introduced the half-grown birds into my small fenced back yard.
I expected them to be flying by now--they are 2-3 months old--but they are not and they are staying in my fenced area. I really wanted them to be out wandering around eating bugs. I don't know if they will just take off flying one day or when it is safe to put them outside the fence. Right now they are hanging by my back door apparently waiting for me to reappear there. But in the meantime they are eating my favorite hosta and pooping all over my patio. So my questions are: can I get them to stay off my patio? when can I safely put them outside of the fenced area? I know there are predators out there: foxes, raccoons, hawks, coyote, etc.

Welcome to BYC!
Your guineas will go out bug eating, don't worry. No you probably can't teach them to stay off the patio, just keep a little broom on hand to clean up poop. I don't know at what age they should go out...if your fenced area doesn't have a top, they will fly over eventually.
Guineas are excellent at evading predators. I never lost a guinea in the day time, but I have lost chickens. If you can keep them going in the coop at night, you'll have them for a long time.
Good luck

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

I don't know a thing about Guinea's, although I have considered keeping them over the years. Never did. :p Definitely follow the link to the Guinea section that CTKen has left for you.

Good luck with your birds and welcome to our roost! :)

I know very little about guineas except they eat ticks, will mob snakes, and alarm at anything new they notice, like a falling leaf. People either love them or hate them.

I have owned an raised guinea fowl for years. They will eventually fly. I can't think of a way to keep them off the patio though. I will tell you they are not the brightest birds but they will figure out that flying over the fence equals tasty bugs. Oh and :welcome

Back
Top Bottom