I am a new member.

Terri12868

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 26, 2014
I have 6 chickens that have not started laying eggs yet. Should I put a light on? I live in MI. I think they are 8 month old.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Since they were hatched in later spring, they will probably be late bloomers, meaning they won't probably start until next spring. You can try light but don't add a lot more unless you want them to get prolapse!
sickbyc.gif

Sorry, but you might not get any before spring.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I wouldn't put a light on. You may get a few more eggs this winter, but in the long run it will only shorten their laying life. If you do decide to put in a light, wait until they start laying to do it, and be sure and put the light on a timer where it comes on before the sun rises in the morning, and turns off before the sun sets in the evening, or it will mess up their roosting cycle, which can have a detrimental effect on their health. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Good morning and welcome to BYC! What breed of chickens do you have?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

No, as Mountain Peeps says, give them time to grow up and mature before you start in with added lighting. They will lay when they are ready.

Enjoy your babies and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom