I am a newbie with ducks! Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken0Boy, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I am going to be able to expand my chicken coop and get ducks! I have been looking on Metzer farm for teh ducklings I want; I have also been on the forum 'learning' [​IMG] Now since I have picked my ducks out I would like to know how much coop, run and water space the will need. I know it is best to give as much possible, but I just want to know the minimum. My picks are 1 Blue Swedish Drake, 1 Blue Swedish Hen, 1 Buff Hen, 1 Cayuga Hen, and 1Welsh Harlequin Hen. So now can you answer my question? Oh, and whatever alse I need to know to keep ducks.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Chicken0Boy

Nobody? [​IMG]

3. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    I would pick up Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks as a jumping point before getting any, or something along those lines. Mostly you need to protect your ducks at night like you would your chickens, but they don't necessarily need to be 'housed' the same way.

4. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    Ducks are very easy to keep [​IMG]
    I would strongly recomend, spending lots of your time with the babies, just genrally gaining their trust..
    I found ducks are very clever, mine understand simple words..
    I fed mine chick crumbs, growers pellets and layers mash.. the love stuff like meal worms for treats..
    if their bed is kept clean, clean water to splash in, a place to feel secure to call their home, nice treats to go with main food.. then they should be happy ducks [​IMG]

How you bring your duck up, is basically what u teach them, is what they know..
    Personally I love to class my ducks as companion pets, because I can involve them in things i do...
    (just remembering they poo a bit.. I sit on the sofa (with towels etc stuff to quickly clean up), and they sit on my lap and watch tv happily.. I take them out with me (because they trust and bond and well behaved) so litrally how you treat them, is the behaviour you get back off them...
    silly things like never chase the duck, let the duck learn to trust you, and after that, you can walk up to them and hust pick them up no bother..
    If the duck runs away from your hand, just sit with treats in your hand (dropping one or two so the duck knows what your holding) then let the duck make the effort to come to you for treats [​IMG] hope that made sense

5. Chicken0Boy

Thanks you guys! I can't wait to get some ducks, and I hope I can go pick up sotrys guide today. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by