I am a newbie

imkiki

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Hi, I just got 5 pullets and a coop. This is my first time with chickens. We have a lot of fox and hawks in our area so we are trying to protect the girls but still give them some time to peck a round. We want to electrify a run but I am not sure how to handle the gate. We have looked at the 4 foot net fence with electrified tape and the 6 foot hard mesh fence. Any ideas on what is best and also how to handle an entryway into the pen? Anything we came up with seems to make the pen vulnerable.

chikkenfriend

Songster
6 Years
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello and welcome! Thanks for joining and thanks for caring for your girls!

Look up coop designs, lots of info there. Sounds like you're building a fortress, though. Good for you!

Welcome again! :welcome

TwoCrows

🌻🐣🌻
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have never used electric fencing. You might stop by our Coop and Run Construction forums and ask this question. They should have some answers for you...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Wyandottes7

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Sorry, but I don't have much experience with coop construction, and I've never used electric fencing. My runs are part of the coop, and are made of hardware cloth and wood.

Michael OShay

Crowing
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Montana
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've never used electric fencing either for chicken protection. Like Wyandottes7, my runs are part of the coop and I rely on hardware cloth to keep out predators. Definitely take a look at the link that TwoCrows left you with. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

LIChickens

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 8, 2014
Long Island, NY
Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
Why not start a new thread in the predator section to ask about electric fencing and restate your ideas of a gate etc.? I think that is where you will find the people most experienced with this type of security..

Top Bottom