I am an OHIO expectant mother

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
Chardon Ohio
My husband is building a coop and I am a nervous mother to be. Questions .... I have 2 barn cats and 2 dogs and 2 horses soooo Will my cats eat the chickens? Will my dogs leave them alone? I am sure my horses will be spooked (they hate the wild turkeys when they come around). I have a friend giving us 4 adult hens should I get a few chicks (they are so cute) or do I have alot to learn first? Help!

Hello Ohio from Wisconsin! I'm an expectant mother, too! And my husband is also building a coop (I'm in charge of design!) How many are you getting? What kind? How are you designing your coop? Is it one for just the chickens, or one you can get into with them?

OOPS sorry, I just noticed you said 4 hens. What kind? I think you could get all the information you would ever need for raising chicks right here on this website. It is awesome!

LOL...congratulations. Honestly, if you want chicks, get chicks. You are right, they are adorable!!! There are a lot of us here learning as we go and this site is a huge help!!! Everyone has to start somewhere.

The coop is all my husbands thing it is 6x6x6 3 nest boxes and we both could fit in it! I do not even know what kind. Are some nicer than others? I do not want a mean mad chicken chasing me to the mailbox.

Click on "index" and then the category "coop and run design" and you'll get more information than you could ever hope for. Basic questions are: having enough size (at least 3 sq. ft. of floor area per hen), whether to insulate or not insulate, what kind of litter method, POOP CONTROL (a droppings pit vs. droppings boards under roosts or just let things fall where they may!) and making them safe from predators. Honestly, I didn't put this much energy into my own "people" babies! Welcome to our group . . . the OBSESSED!

Back
Top Bottom