I AM GETTING MORE SOON!!! Have some questions...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wings, Feb 7, 2009.

1. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I am getting more chicks soon!!! I can't wait!!! We have 5 already, and we're getting 5 or 6 more pullets. I haven't decided on the breeds yet (I have another post on that one...), but I will figure that out later.

(https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=130079 This is where my wish list is. Any ides are appreciated.)

So, I have a few questions. The faster I get the answers, the sooner I can go get my chicks!!!

1) How long can they stay in their cardboard box brooder?

2) When can they go outside? (I live in MA, BTW.)

3) Where do I put them between the times of brooder and in the coop with the big girls? (Any pictures??)

4) How do I finally incorporate them with the big girls???

5)We have a rooster. Does this make a difference?

6) What age do they go in with the big flock?

I know there are a lot of questions, but I don't want to mess it up! Any help or pictures would be very helpful!!!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. meezermom

meezermom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    Roy WA
    I may be able to give you a few answers - but also get a copy of "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" by Gail Damerow (like a chicken bible!!!!)

1) They can stay in your brooder till they outgrow it! Space requirements are 0-4 wk = 1/2 sq ft
    4-8 wk = 1 sq ft
    8-12 wk = 2 sq ft

2) If the chx are at least 2 wks old they can go outside to "play" on warm sunny days for a few hours on your lawn in a safe pen.

3) I used a chicken tractor for between times - but they probably shouldn't leave the brooder totally till they are at least 6 weeks old provided the weather cooperates [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4) Put them in the coop at night, in the dark, while your hens are roosting.

5) Depends on how your roo is gonna act - he may not like them...Which means you may need to seperate him from the girls. But he may take to them also....

6) Probably when they are feathered out....

I've added some pics of our chx tractor - temporary digs for our girls till the coop was done.
    Good luck! Post some pics of the new babies, 'K?

3. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Don't worry! I'll be snapping pics left and right!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by