1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am just starting .

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by briana1975, Feb 23, 2009.

1. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I am just getting started. I have talked about getting chickens for a year or so now. We have the site fenced still need to fill in a couple low spots and build a coop. Have plans and lumber just waiting for a warm up. February in Michigan is cold. Read all about breeds and know what kind I would like. Looking for advice on when to have chicks shipped and who to order from. I am not looking for a huge flock. I want to start kinda small 10 to 15 chicks. Also good advice for a beginer.

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I order my birds in February or March and have them delivered toward the middle or end of April.

A lot of hatcheries have a 25 chick minimum order. Try looking at Ideal Poultry, I think they have a minimum dollar amount instead of the minimum number of chicks. Also look at My Pet Chicken. When you figure out what you want, order them - sometimes some of the rarer breeds sell out.

Also, try looking at your local feed store. Sometimes they sell chicks.

Good luck!

3. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    build to suit more chickens than you are planning on, people always end up with more than they started out with.

4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Best advise i could give you is to sit back and read as much as you can. It's amazing how much you can learn just reading answers to others questions. Good Luck and Welcome to BYC.. O Yea and rule #1 is post pics asap..lol

5. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    I farmed in Southern Michigan and the local rule was to take the "frost free" date (usually around May 1st) and then subtract 6 weeks. That would make your order delivery date in late March and when the chicks were ready to come out of the brooder, it will be warm enough for them.

6. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:I used the frost free date thing very helpful. I placed and order and chicks should ship April15 the e-mail said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by