I am looking for some feedback on this breed for meat production????

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Eureka Jennifer, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Eureka Jennifer

Eureka Jennifer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Eureka, California
    "Colored Range Chicks - (Colored Ranger)

Colored Range day-old chicks are hatched in the heart of the Pennsylvania Dutch Country. The breeding stock is imported from the regions of Burgundy and Brittany (France). The genetic stock is derived from the American and European old heritage breed of chicken and was developed in the early 1960’s to meet the highest standards of the French Label Rouge Free Range program. Currently, the Colored Range genetic stock is used by most non-factory farm production models (alternative) all across Europe and also by small pastured poultry producers in search of a traditionally raised farm chicken - just like the "oldies", healthy and with a succulent flavor and texture."

My partner and a couple of friends want to purchase some meat birds... it is nice to know where your food comes from. There was a good article in the backyard poultry magazine about this breed. I was wondering if anyone had experience with them, health, taste, etc....

Thank you for all comments.

Jennifer

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've heard some great things about them. Less heart attacks than with Cornish X.

I'm sure someone else will chime in here.

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Use the Search Function to find the myriad threads discussing this cross of chickens.

Jim

4. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
  5. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    A lot of people here like them. I personally don't care for them as they grow slower and consume more feed per pound of meat.

6. Eureka Jennifer

Eureka Jennifer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Eureka, California
    Thank you all for your comments I really appreciate your time. The funny thing is we have a meat processing company in town that just stopped processing chickens, that is so strange. Now everyone in our area is scrambling to find someone who does this. What an odd time to stop doing this since owning chickens seems to be on the rise. Maybe I will just have to process them myself.

7. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I know your pain. I wish i could afford to buy the equipment. I think there is a real niche in this area for a person who would process poultry.

8. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    Many threads on these birds.

I have 99 ten-day-olds in my basement.

Lost one in a freak feeder accident last night.

Otherwise, they are fat, happy, growing, vigorous.

I'll report on the costs, and the whole experience, some time in July.

9. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I was recently told that one of my local options for processing has instituted a new policy of only handling white chickens. Don't know the reason. Another does not process in the fall (because they are so busy with pigs and lambs) except for turkeys the week before Thanksgiving.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Huh? White chickens? They only want the commercial producers or something? Would love to know the reason for this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by