I am looking to buy Guinea Fowls to sort out my tick Problem

newbieSep2014

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 26, 2014
Hi,

We live on 1 acre at Tallai (Gold Coast). We moved here in July and have already had 1 expensive trip to the vet with a paralysis tick on 1 of our Golden Retreivers (we have 2).

After doing a bit of research I found out that Guinea Fowls hunt ticks.

I know it will be a bit of a process with introducing the dogs to the Guinea Fowls but they are quite happy for Cockatoo, Magpies and other birds to come in the yard now.

My Question is, what do I need to buy before I buy any Guinea Fowls? and How many Guinea fowls would you recommend I buy? Do I buy adult or keets?

Thank you for your advice

Georgia

Guineas do best in a flock of 6 or more. Babies (keets) are the best way to go. They will adapt faster and be more apt to hang around. They are also a wilder bird than chickens and if you are willing to work with them, your odds of "taming" them will be better. They will never be tame like a chicken. My adult guineas will chase my dog (100#) and cat if they feel the need and they both run with their tail between their legs. I raised my guineas with my mature chickens and they return to the coop at night and roost with the hens. They do like to roost higher than chickens so put a roost as high as you can in the coop just for them. During the day, they do wander farther away as a big group and once the hens start laying, you will only find about 10% of the eggs. Mine have made good mommas and I had 2 hens sitting on 40+ eggs earlier this summer. If you want birds this year, you need to get on it because most hens will only lay for about one more month than they stop for the winter and don't start up until April/May.

If you go with adult birds, keep them locked up for 3-4 weeks before you let any out. Keep 1/2 up and let only a few out at a time. They should return to the group at night. Once they prove they will return, add another bird to the free range group. Don't just open the door and hope for the best. Chances are they will hit the road and you might never see them again.

They are super noisy but well worth it for the laughter and tick control.

... If you want birds this year, you need to get on it because most hens will only lay for about one more month than they stop for the winter and don't start up until April/May.

Keep in mind, he's in the southern hemisphere (Australia) so the above time period needs to be adjusted accordingly.

I would highly recommend Guineas for what you need. Just be aware, if they will be free ranging, they'll possibly be susceptible to birds of prey, wild dogs, and such. However, they are much better at defending themselves than a common chicken.

Back
Top Bottom