1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am new to all of this chicken stuff.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by photogeek, May 12, 2011.

1. photogeek

photogeek Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    South Alabama
    many years ago my ex husband bought me about 20 bitties, and some grown turkeys, and geese oh and a few docks. The bitties did well, the grown fowl weren't a lot of fun and ran off a lot. Any, living in the south, my hubby decided that the chickens didn't need any special place to stay so he just put up a small fence with a door and very small lean too for the to get out of the rain. oh and a small pine tree was in the pen so they could roost. Well, long story short....neighbor dog got in, i came home, no more live chickens. Now, 15 year later I'm going to try this again. I don't have that husband anylonger so many changes have been made. I went to the local feed store and they had a shipment of chickens,and ducks. Got 5 straight runs and 5 pullets. they were all about a day or two old. This was in March. OH OH I forgot to say we also got guineas! I always wanted guineas. So we fix them up in a seperated brooder box, well made, seperated so they can eat their own special feeds. That was on March 30. After last week we started working on a pen. I think it's pretty cool pen. It's fenced in, over head too. when done it will have a house, above ground with windows and some nesting boxes. we are learning as we go along. Anyway we are having a lot of fun with these chickens and noticing that they each have personalities.. Now since we got them from a local feed store they were not identified much except pullets or straight run. so we bout five of them and two guienas.

so now my happy little family has a fully enclosed yard and appear very happy learning their new environments. I just want to know what they are as I have no idea. And I want to know how many roosters I ended up with and what to do with so many if the straight runs are all roosters.

But I'm glad I found this board. it sure will help me and my boyfriend figure out how to do this chicken farming thing. I've named a few already. the Guienas are Ben and Jerry. the dominant rooster who has a pushy disposition is 'red". I'll post pictures on another thread later.

i've already found lots of information on chickens and love ready about them and whats best for them so hopefully i'll be around alot.
    oh, and I love taking photos so now I have new models to take shots at [​IMG] My cat is jelous of the attention the birds are getting now but he just sulks. he'll get over if lol
    lisa

2. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Well you are at the right place! Welcome to BYC!!!

3. photogeek

May 12, 2011
    South Alabama
    thanks!!! that was quick! [​IMG] I'll have to post pictures as I don't know what they are. I don't think tractor supply knew either. But I'll have to figure out how to post picks firs

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to BYC from California!

I think what surprised me most when I first got my chicks - which grew into chickens - was that they DO, indeed, have individual personalities.

Thank you for doing the research and building them a proper, secure, coop home!!

After you have made about 10 posts, you will be able to post pictures - and we LOVE pictures!!!!

6. deserthens

deserthens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Tucson, Arizona
    Yes, as a fellow new member I can sure say you are in the right place. You'll get lots of support and help from the members![​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] again from California

9. photogeek

May 12, 2011
    South Alabama
    wow! such a nice bunch of folks here [​IMG] thanks for the welcomes. and yes, we read many magaizines and internet articles about this. I only wished we had more choices in the ones we got but so far I like most of them. Some have funnier personalites than other. some are quiet, some timid, and some easy to get a along with. and then there is Red. its going to be ovious he going to be the boss as long as the guienas leave him alone. I got them in march and i figure they are about 6 weeks old now and very happy to be out of the brooder. today was the first time I heard the Guineas Ben and Jerry lol start making a bunch of racket. when i went over there i didn't see anything. had food, had water, and no other critters. As soon as i can i'll post pics of them and their new home. when the guineas get bigger they will free roam. I'm afraid i may have 5 red roosters though. but i guess will have to wait till i get pictures posted to be sure. but it's so much fun coming home from work and sitting out there watching them and talking to them. lol i'm hooked. cheep intertainment

oh, i'm from South alabama

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by