I am new to taking care of ducks and i am scared that ill screw up and my two duckling will suffer or not be healthy because of my screw up

For little ones, I like to use the waffled Rubbermaid type shelf liner. They sell it at the dollar stores too. It's cushioned, non slip, and it elevates them slightly above spilled water. Cut it to size. A roll is usually big enough, I can cut several to fit, so they can be changed out at least daily, or more often, as needed. Rinse them, and toss them in the wash with the towels, and they come out perfectly clean. Don't use fabric softener on them.
Never would dream of it. and thank you for the tip dang the dollar store is amazing

If they are inside only and you give them produce, or any food besides duckling crumble, make sure to offer them chick grit as well. Most people put it in a bowl near their food.

My avian veterinarian also recommends switching to an appropriate diet formulated specifically for waterfowl when your ducklings are adults. She says scratch grains are not a nutritionally complete food, and should be a treat.

Good job keeping your babies warm with a heat lamp! Watch your pekin for foot/leg issues. They will probably be fine, but can be more prone to problems than other breeds because of how fast they grow and if you catch it early we can help you.

Post baby photos of you get a chance!

So 7 months ago I had never owned ducks either, I had owned chickens but never ducks and while I was in lockdown I was so bored and lonely that I got myself a couple of female Pekin ducks and I too wanted the BEST for my girls because from day one I loved them and began to worry that I’d mess something up so I’ll share my experience with you!

So I got my girls from metzer farms and they were shipped to me when they hatched in the mail. I brought them home and put them in their bin and at the time I had hay and then a heat lamp for them and I let them rest for a few days before I came in contact with them and just made sure they had fresh water and food. After a few days I took them in the bathroom with me and sat on the floor, at first they wanted nothing to do with me, they were horrified of me. Then I just sat on the floor and minded my own business and after about an hour and a half they were cuddling up next to me, couldn’t let me out of their sight, and followed me everywhere I went. They had imprinted on me and cried whenever they couldn’t see me, it got to the point where they only wanted to snuggle up in my hoodie around my neck so of course I let them, I spent every second with them.

A few weeks or so goes by and wow they grew fast!! I always paid attention to how they walked and their legs and always made sure they were getting all the protein they needed and such (I literally just fed them duckling crumble, mealworms, and kale) I stayed away from bread and “junk food” for ducks. But I noticed one duckling was panting, her tail was bobbing up and down, and she just seemed ill. I thought it was heat stroke due to the panting and her feet being on FIRE so I put her in a bit cold but not warm bath to cool her but then I noticed she was wheezing and having issues breathing. I thought okay...and came up with all of these horrible scenarios. But I just kept a close eye on her and to this day I still call her my problem child because she always has something going on. But I thought maybe it was the hay because I heard the hay can grow mold from being wet and it was harder to grab out the hay to change it out daily and also expensive. So I read about pine shavings, I highly recommend because when they pooped I’d just pick it right out (with gloves obviously) and when it was wet from their water, I’d just change it out. It was very important they they had a clean living area and fresh water and non soggy food.

After about a month to a month and a half I started taking them outside for the day and then bringing them back in at night, wow did they love it outside but I have a ton of predators like coyotes, hawks, raccoons, etc. so I could never just leave them free range but they never left my side so it wasn’t an issue taking them out side, they love looking for bugs, and LOVE mud. And when it was time to go in they just followed me back in, ducks LOVE a schedule so if you could get them on some kind of schedule they will remember it and it will be a piece of cake.

After they were full grown I put them outside for good, they have their own run which is an old large dog kennel with a concrete slab but the concrete slab or any hard surfaces like that can cause bumble foot SO I put down some sod in there and shavings so they have cushion to walk on. I also made sure it was predator proof so they’d be safe at night and during the day I let them out when I am outside due to the coyotes and hawks, unfortunately a coyote just got my dog about a month ago and killed her so I know they are out hunting.

But in all honesty...I had never owned ducks either and was worried just like you were but you have the right mindset, you want the best for them and I promise as long as you love them they will love you back even more. I ran into several complications with my one girl like breathing issues, bloody nose, limping, broken blood feathers, etc. (I really don’t know what her issue is, her sister hasn’t ever had an issue) but I also notice all of those things because I pay VERY close attention to my girls and catch it the day it starts. And if you’re spending a ton of time with them, in a year from now you will still be their mom. I was worried my girls would grow up and not want me anymore but here we are still cuddling, they still come and crawl into my lap, still follow me wherever I go, and give me “kisses” and it honestly makes my day seeing them. Don’t worry, you will be an amazing duck mom!!! Also, this site is amazing for any questions or complications you run into!!

Back
Top Bottom