I am new with a chick question.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dorenachickenlady, Nov 14, 2008.

1. dorenachickenlady

dorenachickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Dorena, Oregon
    Hi. I have 8 hens and 6 days ago I got 24 baby chicks from a friend who hatched them herself. 1 of my 6 month old hens who is a barred rock is the friendliest hen I have ever met. I got her from a lady when she was 3 months and she said she handled her alot as a chick. My kids really want these babies to be like her. She eats from your hand and loves to sit on your lap and be petted. Our babies are of exact unknown orgin but are one of a few breeds or mixes of them. The breeds are buff orpington, barred rock and golden comet. Also how can I find out what kind of mixes my chicks are? Thanks so much!!

2. DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm not sure there is a definite way to determine what mixes they are, when they get older you will be able to tell somewhat.

But the breed's you listed, from my experience, are friendly breeds. Handle them a couple times a day, and give them treats and they will be great pets for your kids [​IMG]

If you post pics of them, some of the members here should be able to give you an experienced guess by the colors they are [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  3. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Good luck. Hold them and hand feed them and they will be friendly, of course different breeds and chickens are just more friendly than others. We have 25 right now and some run from you and others follow you. I noticed the ones that we held a lot are tamer....It is hard to hold 25 all the time though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by