I am not sure what is wrong with my pullet, pretty lethargic

Aug 5, 2021
Copperas Cove, TX
Hi!
I think there is something wrong with my girl. She is a 17 week Barred Plymouth Rock. I noticed she has been lying around more than normal. She doesn't get up when I go in her run. She really is not very responsive. I cannot find any injuries. I am not sure if she has been eating but she hasn't touch any the food I have given her in the last 2 hours, water either. I brought her in the house and put her in a box in my office. I knew something was not right when I took her with me to the new area we are making for our chickens and set her in the grass. she was not interested, she just stood there. I am very concerned and do not know what to do. She seems to be breathing normally. I have not heard a cough or much noise out of her at all. I see no physical issues. I have attached a pic of her in the box as well as a poop pic. Sorry for the graphics but I know you can tell things from the poop. I cannot get a hold of my vet. I am worried. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Missy

Attachments

• Ruth.jpg
    Ruth.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 4
  • Ruth poop.jpg
    Ruth poop.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Ruth poop 2.jpg
    Ruth poop 2.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 1
What does her crop feel like?

I would work on getting her hydrated.
If possible, get a fecal float to see if worms or Coccidiosis are affecting her.
Thank you for the reply. Her crop felt full. It is sticking out. I am not sure what it is supposed to feel like. I am a new chicken owner.I am treating her for coccodiosis. I gave her meds and Gatorade with a syringe. If she doesn't drink tomorrow i will continue to syringe feed her. Do you know how much fluid she can take? I don't want to give her too much at one time. I am using a 3 ml syringe.
I am keeping her in the house with me until she is feeling well enough to go back with my other 2. I am cleaning out the coop tomorrow.

Thank you for the reply. Her crop felt full. It is sticking out. I am not sure what it is supposed to feel like. I am a new chicken owner.I am treating her for coccodiosis. I gave her meds and Gatorade with a syringe. If she doesn't drink tomorrow i will continue to syringe feed her. Do you know how much fluid she can take? I don't want to give her too much at one time. I am using a 3 ml syringe.
I am keeping her in the house with me until she is feeling well enough to go back with my other 2. I am cleaning out the coop tomorrow.
How is she this morning?

Her crop *should* be empty/flat if she's not had anything to eat/drink all night.

When you say meds - do you mean Corid? Dose for Liquid Corid is 2tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days.

I wouldn't mix the Corid with Gatorade. It's probably ok, but generally if treating for Coccidiosis all you want is the Corid mixed with plain water.

If her crop is puffy and full of fluids, then take care syringing fluids into her, they can aspirate.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

How is she this morning?

Her crop *should* be empty/flat if she's not had anything to eat/drink all night.

When you say meds - do you mean Corid? Dose for Liquid Corid is 2tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days.

I wouldn't mix the Corid with Gatorade. It's probably ok, but generally if treating for Coccidiosis all you want is the Corid mixed with plain water.

If her crop is puffy and full of fluids, then take care syringing fluids into her, they can aspirate.

I didn't mix the Corid and Gatorade. Someone recommended to give her a little bit of Gatorade since she didn't drink any water yesterday. After I go take care of my chicks I will check on her and give you and update. I know she is alive. I am just not sure she has been eating and drinking yet. Thank you for the dosing. That is much easier than trying to figure it out based on the directions.

I didn't mix the Corid and Gatorade. Someone recommended to give her a little bit of Gatorade since she didn't drink any water yesterday. After I go take care of my chicks I will check on her and give you and update. I know she is alive. I am just not sure she has been eating and drinking yet. Thank you for the dosing. That is much easier than trying to figure it out based on the directions.
That's good. Gatorade can be helpful in giving electrolytes - often that's the first thing many of us try when a bird is not well to help get them hydrated.

Keep us posted.

How is she this morning?

Her crop is flat, if I am feeling the right area. She is a little more alert. She was not fond of me giving her fluid through a syringe. So hopefully she is on her way to recovery.

Back
Top Bottom