I am so angry...a rant. *UPDATE @ POST 13*

Since this is recent, it may be that you're dealing with someone else's problem that was caught and released close to you after being counseled by the same F&G warden. I'd perch my DH on the balcony with a pitcher of iced tea, SSS and move along. Best of luck to you, Carrie.

Thanks for the links, aprophet. I have been investigating and am going to further investigate those trapping methods for fishers. I just really would like to avoid any troubles accidentally trapping any bobcats with fatal results. The last thing I need is a several thousand dollar fine for killing a protected species. I feel like I have already lost a small fortune in birds this year. A fine like that would bankrupt me.

It's funny. A neighbor has been telling me for several months about a trapper friend that has been trapping bobcats in our area for a study. I guess the study is the same one F&G was telling me about this morning. My neighbor has been recommending this friend come deal with my predator problem. I think I shall meet with this trapper. I am willing to look at any and all options at this point.

The upside is that the day has passed and I have all the birds I started with. In fact, if you count the spooked duck that spent the night outside- I have one extra bird. So, I am doing better today than I was last night. A small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Thanks everyone.

Holy mackerel. First of all, I'm sorry about your birds! I'm new around here, but it sounds like you've had a rough year.

So far as your predator...Not surprised to hear your F&G is so very helpful. /snark I love the relocate and release...right. More like "relocate and run like heck...backwards." LOL What idiots. I was reading earlier today comments from people in various parts of the country having similar troubles, relating to bobcats, mountain lions, et cetera. (A mountain lion was struck by a car and killed in CT; they and their signs have been seen in the area for quite a bit of time, but all of the local DNRs still insist on denying it.) I also don't understand why these animals are *such* protected species that we either have to just accept the property damage or pay huge fines for protecting ourselves and animals! If it is this close to people, and it IS a bobcat, mountain lion, whatever, it may (will?) eventually get bold enough to go after other pets...or kids. Hello, F&G?

Good luck to your husband and/or the trapper. Nature is beautiful, but sometimes the more dangerous aspects of it need to be reminded there are lines that shouldn't be crossed. Otherwise people's lives, or at least peace, are put in danger.

Are there any other ways you can protect your birds or scare the predator enough that it stays away?

Quote:
A leaning pole set is safer then a coni box we do not have fishers down this end of va but I believe the guys who trap them use a skunkyish fox lure for bait and of course whatever they are already eating is the best bait ( chicken) good luck with ridding yourself of the problem animal

Back
Top Bottom